Another AX15 question!

Believe it or not I actually found a 2wd ax15 and I'm picking it up on Sunday. The seller has no photos and is not sure what the year of it is or what it came out of. If it is 92 or older I know I have to get the 74CJ 304 pilot bushing as well as the shorter drive shaft. I can't seem to locate that pilot bushing. A) Does anyone have a source for that part or do I need to search JYs? B) What drive shaft length do I need and is there a specific one that will work so I can try to locate it locally? C) Are there certain shifter rods I need to look for? I don't know if the tranny comes with one or not. Any help is welcome!!

isn't that bushing just to bolt newer tranny's up? I thought the older AX-15's had the smaller shaft tip dia. At least my 2WD '90 did. I had to get that bushing to put a '98 AX-15 in.

(Thanks again for that, Pete)

isn't that bushing just to bolt newer tranny's up? I thought the older AX-15's had the smaller shaft tip dia. At least my 2WD '90 did. I had to get that bushing to put a '98 AX-15 in.

Hence why he said if he got a 92 or newer.

Shift rods? It's 2wd. The only thing that hooks to the trans is the speedo cable and reverse light switch. Shifter sits in the top of the trans.

I'm assuming you have a Pukey now? As Pete said, the 4wd ones are the same length, I'm also not sure about the 2wd ones. You will, however, need an AX-15 crossmember.

Thanks Guys, I'll search Autozone tomorrow for the bushing. I meant shifter but I thought that was the same thing as a shifter rod. I don't think the BA10's will fit so if the ax15 doesn't come with one, I'll shop around. I'm just glad the drive shaft is the same. I can't wait to get this tranny installed and enjoy driving the "project" without grinding gears. On a side note, I read the post about the Sea Foam solvent. Never knew about it but now eager to try that stuff out.

Actually he said '92 or older. I'm not arguing, technically we're both right

That's true, I did say "older". ( I meant newer of course) Now shake hands !! :cheers:

So he did. :doh:

I wasn't arguing either, just pointing it out to ya in case you missed it.

correct. you will need a shifter from an XJ/MJ AX-15. (YJ/TJ are different.)

there is a possibility that the trans output spline counts are different. but slip yokes are pretty easy to come by if that is the case.

True. I used a YJ AX5 in mine....I used YJ to clock the t-case up some. I had to use the YJ slip yoke, but not biggie since I was rebuilding the rear drive shaft anyways.

Also used the YJ shifters for the t-case and tranny. I had to heat them to glowing red and then bend them to my comfort. If you do not, they will be hitting your dash and you won't be able to shift them.

I like the YJ t-case shift linkage better (sturdy and won't bind), and I like the tranny shifter because it is taller. Personal choice.