Manual to Power Door Locks

Hey guys,

So I just found a set of Cherokee 4 door front doors that are from a 91 with power everything. i'm looking to put them in my truck and i have manual everything. What all needs to be done/added parts and wiring wise? And i know there will be switches for the rear window i really don't care haha

Thanks

Jamie

Hey guys,

So I just found a set of Cherokee 4 door front doors that are from a 91 with power everything. i'm looking to put them in my truck and i have manual everything. What all needs to be done/added parts and wiring wise? And i know there will be switches for the rear window i really don't care haha

Thanks

Jamie

I did this to mine this year, havent done any write-up on it though. My power parts were from an 86 though, it doesnt really matter what year the donor is. If you still have access to your donor, you may want to go back and see if it has a seperate cross body harness that can be removed from it, and put into your truck. Ive hear that the late models had a seperate wiring harness that went from door to door. If you can get that, it will make your job much much easier. I had to find the proper year wiring diagrams, and make my own harness. it is about 8 or 9 wires that run across to the passenger door, and then theres a hot lead that plugs into the fuse box, and a ground to hook up..... I think. The wiring for the rear doors at least in mine were in their own seperate connector, so I just left it unhooked, and the switches in the door are just unused, but if you find a switch from a 2 door cherokee, it will just swap in and you won't have the 2 extra switches. My doors also have power mirrors, but I didnt try to wire them up yet, I know the mirror motors don't work well in mine, so I'm not too worried about it right now... if I ever get some good ones, then I might change my mind. Good luck!

I am going to add power locks to mine also. I am going a different way though. I am not going to mess with the automatic switches inside or the OEM wiring. I am going to use a alarm system that I got for free and use the keyless entry only. I got a set of actuators and the plugs with wires around 6", and the actuating rods that go to the lock cylinders from a junk yard. I will wire the alarm system power, ground, keyless entry, and domelight supervision. This later option is nice when you shut off your truck the dome lights come on for 30 seconds so you can see around. It also turns the dome light on for 30 seconds when you unlock your doors with the remote.

So, a long story short the power locks will only be actuated by the remote control because how many times do you use the switches in the truck if you have a remote??

Pretty much any used keyless entry or security system will work, just food for thought!!

Not to be a jerk, but use the search function. There is lots of information here.

I have done the conversion and I am still trying to work out all the little issues. I have a 2 door XJ switches and had issues with the 4 door cross body harness. Recently found a 2 door cross body harness so I will install that and power up the mirrors and the door locks.

The easiest thing to do would be to make your own cross body harness. you will find instructions if you use the search function.