Hood Pins

Hood Pins are not just for looks. They're for fire safety!!!!!!!!!!! The first thing that will burn will be the hood release cable and you won't be able to open the hood to put out the fire.You have a lot of options," I run Auto Fab Hood Pins on all my Jeeps". You can buy these Hood Pins at http://www.offroadwarehouse.com.

The first step of mounting these Hood Pins is to mount the male Pin to the radiator support.Drill a hole through the radiator support.

Then place the pin through the hole with a nut on bottom and a nut on top. Tighten the nuts so they sandwich the Radiator.

I welded the bottom nut to make everything easier, if you can weld i would recommended it.

Then place a dab of dark grease on the top of each male hood pin and close the hood to mark the hole location. Open the hood and drill a small pilot hole in the center of the dark grease dab on the bottom of the hood. With a 5/32 bit. Try to keep the drill straight as you drill through both pieces of metal, then close the hood and drill with a 1 1/2 hole saw. Use the 1/4 centering bit of the hole saw in the 5/32 pilot hole.Drill straight down through both pieces of metal. be careful not to scar the male pin :fs2: Then place the rubber female top and mark your four holes to mount it. Drill the hole with a 1/4 bit, place four 1/4 by 20 screws in the hole with nuts on the bottom

Close the hood to check your alignment,If needed ream the rubber female with a large drill bit or unibit .

I left the spring and gutted the top latch so my hood still springs open when i pull the pins

Another option is to add a strut so when you pull the pins the hood opens

I placed a piece of aluminum to the hood,and drill a hole right through it to mount the strut.

and make two because you will need another one for the bottom

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did this yours look a little more beef than mine do but mine were cheap and they seem to be sturdy enough.My advice is to buy the black ones or scuff,prime,paint and use some silicone sealer everywhere you can their a rust magnet on the hood.don't let this scare you i think thier the ticket for the manches they look cool their cheap and that hood release sux!

.My advice is to buy the black ones or scuff,prime,paint and use some silicone sealer everywhere you can their a rust magnet on the hood.

the auto fab hood pins are rubber, on rust on the hood, only the pincry2.gif

i found a way to clean the rubber! use a magic eraser & Denatured alcohol

PhVnT_RFsrPRK47GLvQ6Sv0_u0qJe99EL8lK1wXsMzFxp_iKKeqc4e4pBdJYIObJlSvuO6NxAgLErNRuF9fPXuDCrRTGbJuvfrrAqShp1p-v7dfeILDlxWg3WiILcB4StvA0wtC_XCaX-iOQHaMGAZlXN8Dp-p4dJQ

ZGBD4afRbbOy3Y_MIKkR780BvWpyGCo0NHI27gp2NmUybbooPFtN0EiC1orA2FZSyqZ1WJxS9VM0Ab5HdFU9ptzuZIjCqb_TXPjtm9i2y4IVvUjvTpkO3kFLhEZalkZuU7z0n023O8PHP_f2Jte52l9bY6VV

i will post some pic's when i get a chance!

I did this yours look a little more beef than mine do but mine were cheap and they seem to be sturdy enough.My advice is to buy the black ones or scuff,prime,paint and use some silicone sealer everywhere you can their a rust magnet on the hood.don't let this scare you i think thier the ticket for the manches they look cool their cheap and that hood release sux!

Do NOT use a silicone like around this it will cause rust.

Brandon

Brandon

:agree: no need for silicone to install these hood pins :hmm:

Brandon

:agree: no need for silicone to install these hood pins :hmm:

Mine are rusting inside the hole i drilled in the hood only ben a month I'm using chassis saver to seal it all up.I said silicone because most don't have chassis saver and i didnt realize it caused rust my bad iver never used it I was tryin to think of some thing to squirt up in there to fill up that hole??????

here's good info on silcone's 

:smart: Just a reminder about RTV silcone sealant ....Do not use acedic cure (type 1-smells like vinegar ) on anything electrical . Use only neutral cure (type 2-very little odor ) as the curing will not corrode elec. connecters , also adheres to plastics better.  :thumbsup:

That also go's for all iron or steel because it holds onto water. But I have no idea what I would do for your hood. Try putting your ? Up in the tech section so it gets more eyes and maybe an answer. 

Brandon

yeah I installed my hood pins a bit ago. Haven't got around to doing the struts yet, extra ones I had I gave to a buddy cause his XJ hatch would not open by itself, lol but I just grabbed a hood spring from a 96 jimmy blazer and took out the hood stop and put spring there and not it pops up enough to grab the hood and open it, this way I do not have to copy some cool people and intall $.99 cupboard handles on the hood. (pete) :rotfl2:

here's good info on silcone's 
:smart: Just a reminder about RTV silcone sealant ....Do not use acedic cure (type 1-smells like vinegar ) on anything electrical . Use only neutral cure (type 2-very little odor ) as the curing will not corrode elec. connecters , also adheres to plastics better.  :thumbsup:

That also go's for all iron or steel because it holds onto water. But I have no idea what I would do for your hood. Try putting your ? Up in the tech section so it gets more eyes and maybe an answer. 

Brandon

Are you talking to me?I don't have a question I know how to fix mine.I explained the reason I mentioned silicone In an above post.