AMC V-8 in an 86 MJ Any suggestions

I have 2 - 86 MJ's (1 4x4 with blown 2.5L and 5 speed, and one 2x4 good 2.8L V6 with blown Auto tranny). Also have body damage on 2x4 and moved fenders and hood off 4x4 to 2x4 before my son blew the tranny on the 2x. I'm and old AMC fan (my first car was a '73 Hornet Hatchback with the 304 and Levi special interion). I have several 290's and a couple of 304's sitting around in Javelin's and was wondering if I could shoehorn one into one of the MJ's. I have a '76 TH350 (or TH400) from an engine swap out of a cherokee, but I didn't get the transfer case. I also have several 50's model Willy's pickups (no motors, but most have tranny's and transfer cases). Any suggestions as to what I can put together and get into an MJ without spending a truckload of money? I would appreciate any information I can get. I'm not a great fabricator (yet), but am willing to cut and weld if necessary.

Thanks,

Bill

I have a V8 in my MJ (different engine family) :dunno: . Do your research and weigh in on your fab skills and make a decision. I would love to have had a 401 in my MJ, but with the work I have already laid forward am looking for a decent LS1. It is the little things that get you every time. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response. I am particularly interested in the '86 model because it had a shorter engine compartment than the rest of the MJ's. It makes sense to me that a V-8 would fit because the I-4 fit, but just because it makes sense, doesn't mean it's true.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks guys, you may have inspired me to take on the project. I used to drive a pinto with a 289 in it so I know about the cooling issues. We had a 4 core cadillac radiator in it but at lower speeds, just couldn't get enough air flow. At speed you could watch the temp guage rise up until the thermostat opened, then it would dive down and close the thermostat again. Another problem we had was weight. The front springs were replaced with Ford Courier springs, but they would still wear out after a year or so. I know the AMC 304 is way heavier than the Ford 289 (or the Chevy small blocks for that matter). Any thoughts there? Emissions isn't an issue at present as I live in an area that isn't tested although I'm sure those days are numbered. I would just scratch the whole idea and build one of my Willy's trucks, except that I have a service bed I want to mount to it. I'm afraid the Willy's would look silly with a service bed.

Thanks again.

Bill

You asked for suggestions:

Look at the old Buick aluminum 215 V8. It was sold to Rover and used up until BMW purchased Rover.

The late Rover can be punch out and a Buick 300 V8 crank can be used to stroke the Rover to over 300 cu. in.

Weight on the engine is under 350 lbs.

This Buick aluminum V8 was a popular Jeep swap in the 60's and 70's.

Think the physical size of the engine is smaller than AMC, Ford, Chevy, or Mopar V8

As a bonus, you can use the Range Rover/Land Rover 4x4 drive train.

I had a '53 Willys half ton with a service bed on it. It looked OK to me. Had the whole thing painted the same color so there wasn't a mis matched two tone look. Also got to agree with the Buick 215. They were good engines and light weight. I put several of them in Jeeps with excellent results.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I'll photoshop the service bed onto the willy's and see (unless someone has pics they can send me ;) ). As far as the Buick, I was kind of wanting to use what I had instead of buy more stuff. I wasn't aware of the aluminum aspect and thusly the weight savings. That makes it very interesting. Thanks, I'm trying to narrow my options, not widen them :D

Bill