POR-15 vs. Rust Bullet

POR-15 or Rust Bullet??? Which product is better?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. POR-15 or Rust Bullet??? Which product is better?

• Rust Bullet
    • POR-15
    • Other

Looking for some opinions and stories about which one is better. Both products are comparably priced from what I've seen so that shouldn't be a huge factor.

I think POR-15 is the more popular name that everyone knows about, but after doing some research I'm not sure it's the better product. The main complaint seems to be that the POR does not seem to adhere as well as it should and acts more as a coating. Rust Bullet even addresses these claims on their site and claims to have much better adhesion properties than POR-15... I've only used POR before and haven't really been using it long enough to voice my opinion on any conclusive results regarding its durability and such. It looks like the Rust Bullet is a much simpler application process and much easier to topcoat.

I like POR-15,

tho I never tried the other one.

POR-15 can be funny tho, I've had it fail to adhere, and come off in sheets (like when powdercoating fails, only the POR-15 is more flexable than powder coating as it comes off).

Once time it even failed on clean, slightly rusty, bare metal (pretty much exactly what they recommend to paint over).

It lifted in one spot, I pulled, and it peeled right off.

I had prepped the metal with their 'Marine Clean', and 'Metal Prep'.

I peeled off what I could, hit the rest with a grinder, and it stayed stuck after a second application.

Other than that, and once, or twice it failed when I had poorly prepped the job,

I've had good luck with it over the last 20 years, or so.

And I really like the smooth-clean finish to it:

from this

to this:

I have used both thru the years and I agree, por15 sometimes does not sticks like it should and it comes off in sheets, rustbullet is not much better. I have given up on both because they are way expensive - I now use regular rostolium products and I don't see much difference in longevity and its a lot cheaper.

haven't used either, but I can tell you that it's always prudent to have some healthy doubt about what a company says about their competitors.

For sure! I'm not taking Rust Bullet at their word... All I was trying to say is that Rust Bullet verifies on their site some of the concerns I've seen voiced on other forums about the adhesion properties of POR-15.

the POR inside my cab is holding up great against muddy boots, tools and what have you. outside however is not. of course i didnt cover it up with a bedliner or anything so i figured it would start to peel and it has but not much. i have scraped, rubbed and everything else to it though and it holds up, until i leaned against a tree, it came right off (what wouldnt) but hasnt peeled around those areas. just scraped off. so overall its okay I'm my opinion. and i didnt prep the outside at all, so I'm really surprised.

I like POR-15,

POR-15 can be funny tho, I've had it fail to adhere, and come off in sheets (like when powdercoating fails, only the POR-15 is more flexable than powder coating as it comes off).

Once time it even failed on clean, slightly rusty, bare metal (pretty much exactly what they recommend to paint over).

I peeled off what I could, hit the rest with a grinder, and it stayed stuck after a second application.

Other than that, and once, or twice it failed when I had poorly prepped the job,

Nice work on the frame :thumbsup: I used the POR inside my frame rails under the cab and I had planned on using it to paint my new floor pans inside the cab and underneath as well as the exterior of the frame. I just wanted to get some opinions from others who had used both products before I dove into the project... By the way, have you alwys used the Marine Clean and Metal Ready during prep?

I like POR-15,

Nice work on the frame :thumbsup: I used the POR inside my frame rails under the cab and I had planned on using it to paint my new floor pans inside the cab and underneath as well as the exterior of the frame. I just wanted to get some opinions from others who had used both products before I dove into the project... By the way, have you alwys used the Marine Clean and Metal Ready during prep?

I did not always use marine clean, and metal prep,

but they are actually both pretty good products, and the paint is so expensive, it doesn't make sense to skimp on prep.

I really like the marine clean, and use it for other stuff,

best thing I ever used for cleaning grungy plastics, like underhood coolant and washer fluid bottles.

It smells like it's ammonia based, but I never actually found out what's in it,

but it does clean really well.

The metal prep also does what it claims to,

I've soaked old tools that had been left outside, and you would not mistake them for brand new, but it did do a nice job cleaning the rust off.

I really need lay under that Jeep, and do the front section of the 'frame',

but I'm picturing a hundred little tiny, semi-permanent Por-15 'sprinkles' all over my face when I'm done. :doh:

I really need lay under that Jeep, and do the front section of the 'frame',

but I'm picturing a hundred little tiny, semi-permanent Por-15 'sprinkles' all over my face when I'm done. :doh:

:rotfl2: Yeah, I hear ya! Did you spray your rear frame or brush it on? I thought about spraying the POR when I do under the cab, but then I thought about the same thing with the "sprinkles"... I think I'll brush it on... much easier to control.

i have no experience with either my buddy used por15 on his bronco and it rusted thru it!I'm using chassis saver i get it from a guy that sells monstaliner on another forum.it must be bare metal or it won't stick but it seems to work well there are tons of success stories on the forum about it.i know i can run 2 or 3 coats let it dry and hit it with a wrench pretty damn hard and it won't chip.ill be using it in my build thread in the mj project section on the floor and frame.it also is in tub under my monstaliner in my rubicons tub and will be going on my 1 tons I'm putting in it.

At this point I'm leaning toward sticking with the POR-15 for my frame and floor pans. I still have some worries about its adhesion, but I think it should be alright as long as my prep is thorough. Plus, I already have the Marine Clean, Metal Ready, and some leftover POR from when I did the inside of the frame. I will definitely use the Marine Clean and Metal Ready when I do this. It seems that alot of the POR failures happen when people do not use these prep products.