89 Renix 4.0/AX15 -> 91 4.0 HO/ AW4

mmmmm giggity...... :cheers:

(you got the easy part dun LOL)

Jeff

Not so sure about that... not certain that I got all of the wiring that I needed and the donor has been taken to the recycler already. I had a friend who was using all the other stuff off the donor pulled the wiring and then he had to get rid of the carcass last week when I was gone to Florida. So I just have a trash bag full of stuff that he pulled that I will need to go thru and see what's there and not there. I guess I might have to hit up the Pik-N-Pull if I'm missing anything. Luckily Cherokee's are usually pretty plentiful there.

He is a "Bronco" guy, so not terribly familiar with Jeeps and specifically the wiring.

Hopefully it's attached to the dash harness... cause I don't see that either.

If he didn't pull the dash harness, is that something I can get from a Pik-N-Pull... the cluster was garbage, so I already assumed I was going to go hunting for a better one when I get ready do the swap (which might not happen until after the holidays it's looking like).

Wade

You'll need the throttle body, complete pedal assembly and steering column (if you want it to function with a parking lock) too.

Wade, it looks like you are missing the trans harness too. The TCU is stuck to the underside of all the dashes and yes, you can grab that out of a yard.

To do this swap, I would highly recommend a complete donor vehicle side by side to get this done right. It'll save you time, hassle, and money.

When you go to pull the dash harness, just leave the wires attached to the dash assembly. To remove the dash, you will need to pull the steering column (you will need this anyway), loosen two 15mm bolts at each corner/foot well and the 10mm bolts holding it up under the windshield. Rotate around those 15mms to gain access behind the dash to unplug the vacuum lines and wiring harness. Once loose, remove 15mm bolts and dash will be ready to pull out.

The TCU will be a 4x6 gray box with plug, located behind the lower dash valance to the right of the ash try.

Yes, it can be done by yourself.

You'll need the throttle body, complete pedal assembly and steering column (if you want it to function with a parking lock) too.

Wade, it looks like you are missing the trans harness too. The TCU is stuck to the underside of all the dashes and yes, you can grab that out of a yard.

To do this swap, I would highly recommend a complete donor vehicle side by side to get this done right. It'll save you time, hassle, and money.

This donor that the Engine is out of is already been scrapped...thinking I'm already way out of my league...

This donor that the Engine is out of is already been scrapped...thinking I'm already way out of my league...

It is somuch easier when you can do the side by side swap to see how things go and have every nut/bolt/fastener.

I'm thinking I maybe just sell this engine/tranny and try to get my $500 back out of it... I think I'm missing too much stuff and am never going to get this engine swap done.

You've got the engine, engine harness, and ECU. You will need the dash wiring (complete dash would be easiest), TCU (the wiring is probably attached to the engine harness), steering column, updated radiator parts, and your fuel tank parts. Then its just a matter of piecing it together and building the XJ->MJ cross over harness.

Then again, $500 for a nearly fresh 4.0 is a great deal.

I'm thinking I maybe just sell this engine/tranny and try to get my $500 back out of it... I think I'm missing too much stuff and am never going to get this engine swap done.

You've got the engine, engine harness, and ECU. You will need the dash wiring (complete dash would be easiest), TCU (the wiring is probably attached to the engine harness), steering column, updated radiator parts, and your fuel tank parts. Then its just a matter of piecing it together and building the XJ->MJ cross over harness.

Then again, $500 for a nearly fresh 4.0 is a great deal.

The Radiator and tranny cooler were mashed in the rollover and I have no Steering Column and likely the Dash Wiring at this point... I just emailed another friend that has disassembled about a dozen XJ's and has many of those parts, so I suspect he might have anything I need, and I hope if I ask nicely he will help me with the swap.

I think/hope the TCU is still on the way, but no idea with what connected.

Pedal assembly too and possibly an auto throttle body (if there is a difference on the HOs as there is on the Renixs)

There's no difference between auto and manual throttle bodies. The auto TPSs have an extra plug for the TCU.

SW2, you really need everything little bit from the donor. Looks like you have the manifolds with the throttle body already, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You're going to need that dash harness and HO fuel sender, along with all the other little tidbits from the engine bay.

Maybe go grab one of those XJs that Mythbusters just totaled? :nuts:

There's no difference between auto and manual throttle bodies. The auto TPSs have an extra plug for the TCU.

SW2, you really need everything little bit from the donor. Looks like you have the manifolds with the throttle body already, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You're going to need that dash harness and HO fuel sender, along with all the other little tidbits from the engine bay.

Maybe go grab one of those XJs that Mythbusters just totaled? :nuts:

There is another 91 XJ 4x4 4.0 Auto on Craigslist local that I emailed about 2nite...it's a few days old, but if still available, might make the swap easier, and fairly affordable.

Well, you'll still need the dash harness, apparently the engine bay harnesses are different between manual and automatic, although I don't see why an auto harness wouldn't work with a stick. Manual ECU might not be a bad idea.

You'll need an HO flywheel. Luckily with a 91 HO, you won't have pilot bearing problems.

Well, you'll still need the dash harness, apparently the engine bay harnesses are different between manual and automatic, although I don't see why an auto harness wouldn't work with a stick. Manual ECU might not be a bad idea.

You'll need an HO flywheel. Luckily with a 91 HO, you won't have pilot bearing problems.

I'm thinking more and more that this might not happen...I don't know that I have the $ or time to throw into the whole swap... and I'm considering the possibility that it might be time to let the MJ go... We'll see...