chysler 3.3 AC compressor issue

Pete M

so I'm on the cusp of parking the Dakota for the winter and figured the easiest vehicle to get to DD status (not that I have a job or anything that I go to daily) was the ol' 97 caravan since really the only issue was the stalling thing and that should be easy enough to tackle. today I drop in a battery (been parked for a few months), turn the key and she starts right up. success! or so I thought. a few seconds after ignition, smoke starts billowing out of the engine bay. some more investigation indicates that it's coming from the AC compressor pulley. after letting everything cool down, I try again and get the same result. a few secs after it fires up, the smoke starts.

AC clutch issue? does the same thing if the AC is turned on.

If it's anything like XJ/MJ compressors, you should be able to pop the clutch off and run it as an idler... if the pulley bearing itself isn't the problem. It seems odd that the compressor would seize and the clutch seize engaged from sitting.

Compressor and clutch seizure is fairly common for the minvans, but I wasnt sure that the problem went back that far.......

More reaseach finds it is in the next gen RS model minivans ( your is an NS but they use the same engines therefore probably same compressors? ) The ones Ive seen have had the compressor and clutch lock up, causing a breakaway plate in the compressor clutch to break and melt away causing a huge amount of smoke till enough has burned away to give clearance for normal pulley operation without belt breakage. We replace the comporessor, the receiver dryer, and suction and discharge line from compressor when we see this come in.

See the TSB below:

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 24-005-03, DATED JUNE 20,

2003, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE

HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES CORRECTED PART NUMBERS

ON PAGES 10 AND 11.

SUBJECT:

A/C Compressor Failure

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves replacing the A/C compressor, related lines, inspecting the

receiver/drier, and checking the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to ensure the

appropriate level software is installed.

NOTE: THE A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY PERIOD HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 7

YEARS OR 70,000 MILES. REFER TO WARRANTY BULLETIN D-03-12 FOR

COMPLETE DETAILS.

MODELS:

2001 - 2003 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

2001 - 2003 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO RS VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.3L OR 3.8L

ENGINE (SALES CODE EGA, EGH, OR EGM) AND A SINGLE A/C SYSTEM

(SALES CODE HAA OR HAD) BUILT ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 23, 2003

(MDH 0223XX) OR A DUAL A/C SYSTEM (SALES CODE HBB) BUILT ON OR

BEFORE APRIL 1, 2003 (MDH 0401XX) AND RG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH

A 3.3L ENGINE (SALES CODE EGA) AND A SINGLE A/C SYSTEM (SALES

CODE HAA, HAD, OR HAJ) BUILT ON OR BEFORE APRIL 7, 2003 (MDH

0407XX) OR A DUAL A/C SYSTEM (SALES CODE HAH) BUILT ON OR

BEFORE MAY 27, 2003 (MDH 0527XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Vehicle operator may describe that the A/C system is inoperative.

Technician may find the A/C compressor has failed due to lack of lubrication.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the A/C compressor fails due to lack of lubrication, perform the Repair Procedure.

Is the compressor locked up? Did you try spinning it by hand w/o the belt?

Rob L.

brilliant me, I drove over there (it's stored at my grandma's house) with the 13mm wrench, and only the 13mm wrench, only to find the tensioner pulley needs a 15. :fool: I was soooo sure it was a 13. :doh: Sun or Mon I'll be going back with more tools.

I have no problems dumping the AC on it if it comes down to that. doesn't work anyway. :( plus winter's coming. :D plenty of that gen van in the pull-a-parts.

The ones Ive seen have had the compressor and clutch lock up, causing a breakaway plate in the compressor clutch to break and melt away causing a huge amount of smoke till enough has burned away to give clearance for normal pulley operation without belt breakage.

so you're saying this is a self-curing problem? :brows: