Is This Normal?

Is it normal in an 87 Comanche with the 4.0 5 speed, to idle down and almost die when you give it gas or start off after a cold start? It'll idle down when you give it gas and die if you keep on the gas. When it warms up, it seems fine? Is this just cuz its an old truck? Thanks

No it is not normal. I have an '87 too and it runs like it did when I bought it in '87. It may be one of the many sensors in the engine. If it is dialed in correctly, it will run smooth as silk.

I had a rough idle problem about a year ago. I couldnt rememeber what was done to fix it so I searched for the post. Here is a snipit from that post:

I took the comanche into the shop (yes, the dealer ). It has been running very well except for at idle. Then it was a little rough. I already replaced quite a bit. Rotor, plugs, wires, iac motor, o2 sensor, injectors cleaned. I was really running out of ideas. I was able to request a guy that had a 4.0 and worked there for a long time. He replaced the EGR valve and a solenoid vacuum switch whatever that is. It is smooth as silk now.