Comanche with newer Cherokee guts

Sorry if there is a similar post out there that I didn't find....I have seen a few members' project write ups where they use a newer donor cherokee for a complete interior swap out on there comanche....if you're on of them.... :thumbsup:. What I would like to do is find a good donor XJ, one that I could use the interior, the engine, transmission, t-case, basically all the power and drivetrain and everything in the front seat. My question is, is there a good year model of a cherokee where I could get all that from just one jeep? If not, what are the best years for specific parts? And also, are there any other things I need to look for? Thanks for any tips or info. :bowdown:

I'm assuming you want the newer interior, from 97-01 Cherokees but the best years to look for are 97-99... There's alot of stuff you'll have to do with the harness and wiring and whatnot.... Some expert will tell you the rest :thumbsup:

Do you mean the best option for everything, or just interior? And thanks for reply jamminz.gif

I'm assuming you want the newer interior, from 97-01 Cherokees but the best years to look for are 97-99... There's alot of stuff you'll have to do with the harness and wiring and whatnot.... Some expert will tell you the rest :thumbsup:

Do you mean the best option for everything, or just interior? And thanks for reply jamminz.gif

mounting a '97+ dash requires all custom mounts.

comanche and cherokee rear wiring aren't the same...custom splicing is needed.

comanche sending unit doesn't work with cherokee fuel gauge, so gotta do a custom tank somehow.

other than that, pretty much bolt-in

other than that, pretty much bolt-in

The firewalls are different and allot yourself a few months to complete the conversion. It is not a quick process.

Unless your name is Pat and you do it in a couple of days.

I've been looking at doing this upgrade for over a year now on my '88MJ that is stripped down to nothing and collecting dust in the back of my shop. I'm extremely picky about how I want to go about doing this swap. I want the darker interior color, color-matched fender flares, and if possible, color matched front bumper endcaps (although I plan on lifting this particular rig and going with custom bumpers so this is almost a moot point).

I'll see if I can break down some of the "features" of the 1999-2001 model years (as these are the ones I'm after for my conversion):

1999-2001 XJ Sport: Color-matched fender flares, option to get the dark gray interior

1999-2001 XJ Classic/Limited: Color-matched fender flares and bumper endcaps, option to get dark gray interior, adjustable headrests, option to get leather and heated seats

1999-2001 XJ SE: Black plastic fender flares and bumper endcaps. Can be had with darker interior, but generally come with manual locks and manual windows.

I currently have a 1998XJ Sport that I was originally going to use as a donor, but I want to do this conversion once and do it right. I don't want the two-tone interior and I also don't want to be painting too much of it, either. I've got plenty of experience in doing color changing on automotive interiors and the fact is they just don't hold up over the years. There will still be some interior painting required, but it will be on items that don't have get a lot of wear and tear (B-pillar plastics, plastic piece behind seats, etc). I also want the color-matched fender flares because I feel the black plastic ones look tacky. I realize I could later upgrade to color-matched flares, but like I said before - do it once do it right. My '98XJ donor will likely get put back together and sold to fund my MJ conversion project.

Also, people are telling you to avoid the 2000 and 2001 models because of the potential for the cylinder head (casting #0331) to crack and allow coolant to get into the oil and trash bearings, if it gets that bad. I'm willing to take the chance because of my personal experience with high mileage 2000-2001 engines w/head casting 0331 with none of the previously described issues.