Very hard to engage gears

Here's the scoop.

I bought the new stuff from Autozone and had a local mechanic install it all.

New:

Transmission (rebuilt)

Clutch Slave Cylinder

Clutch Master Cylinder

Clutch

It actually had this problem before I swapped the transmission.

The problem is:

Hard to put into gear; it worked fine after everything was installed but within an hour it was hard to put back into gear. It is very hard to put in gear and nearly impossible for reverse.

Troubleshooting:

The hose seems to shake when I press the clutch in but I don't know if that's the problem. The clutch feels great, it presses down nicely but it doesn't seem to be engaging correctly or something.

:huh???: Please send me some ideas to tell me mechanic; besides get a new mechanic. :fs2:

fyi:

AX15 5-Speed Manual Transmission

1992 Jeep MJ

How hard is it to put it into gear when the engine is off?

If it's tough with the engine running (esp reverse), and it grinds when it shifts,

but goes in smoothly with the engine off,

I would suspect the clutch hanging up.

Does it want to stall as you slow down with the clutch in?

How hard is it to put it into gear when the engine is off?

If it's tough with the engine running (esp reverse), and it grinds when it shifts,

but goes in smoothly with the engine off,

I would suspect the clutch hanging up.

Does it want to stall as you slow down with the clutch in?

I wouldn't know the stall part, because basically it's underivable.

And it does change gears very easily when the engine is off.

Nope, the hoses were not changed. They are the old ones from before, and if the problem was around before the transmission swap it just may need new hoses?

---where do I buy new hoses?---

Bleed the hoses/lines again, yes I will mention that to my mechanic on Monday.

---I hope this works---

Those are the two things that yall have came up with. Either the hose/lines are bad or I need to bleed them a few times to fully remove all the air.

Alright, now waiting till Monday morning. If yall got anything else please feel free to express it here.

:popcorn:

Could the syncro's be going out?

edit** reread (No syncro for reverse :oops: )

Jeepcomj and Eagle are on the right track, try bleeding again When I swapped tranny's it took about 3 times bleeding it to get all of the air out.

Is the 92 an internal or external slave??

Internal.

This is definitely a bleeding issue. Internal slaves frequently need several bleeds to get it to work correctly, as you cannot compress the slave during bleeding, like an external.

If the problem was around before the work, the problem could be the hose. The upper and lower ends are metal, but the middle portion is a flex hose, similar to the flex hose from the body to the front brake calipers. And, just like brake flex hoses, with age the hoses can get weak. It is possible that the hose is expanding under the pressure of the fluid, which would result in incomplete disengagement of the clutch.

I would start with a new hose, and see if that makes a difference. The bad news is ... you'll have to bleed it all over again after replacing the hose.

If the problem was around before the work, the problem could be the hose. The upper and lower ends are metal, but the middle portion is a flex hose, similar to the flex hose from the body to the front brake calipers. And, just like brake flex hoses, with age the hoses can get weak. It is possible that the hose is expanding under the pressure of the fluid, which would result in incomplete disengagement of the clutch.

I would start with a new hose, and see if that makes a difference. The bad news is ... you'll have to bleed it all over again after replacing the hose.

Renix ones have the three piece hose with the flex hose in the middle. In 91 they went to a one piece plastic hose.

Renix ones have the three piece hose with the flex hose in the middle. In 91 they went to a one piece plastic hose.

Yep. I overlooked the fact it's a '92.

So how were you able to buy a master and slave without the line between? I thought the late model setups came with everything preassembled, filled, and pre-bled.

and the plastic hoses are prone to getting small pinholes and leaking.

Yep. I overlooked the fact it's a '92.

So how were you able to buy a master and slave without the line between? I thought the late model setups came with everything preassembled, filled, and pre-bled.

Well, I bought the clutch before I knew that I had this problem. Then thinking that the Master Cylinder was bad I went and bought one of those. So I bought them separate not knowing that I would need both eventually. It'd be nice if I had gotten the whole set up.

Where do I buy the hose set up?

Just in case the bleeding doesn't work.