Center Console question...

I am planning on doing the bucket seat swap.. I have a few questions..

1. If I found an xj with the center console and the e-brake assembly (hand brake) how could that work with an MJ with the foot ebrake?

2. How would you mount the console in there?

3. If you have a set of MJ bucket seat brackets will an XJ bucket seat fit on it?

Thanks

I might have a few more, but my brain is dead lol

1. If I found an xj with the center console and the e-brake assembly (hand brake) how could that work with an MJ with the foot ebrake? The e-brake handle just passes through a slot in the console, you do not need the handle, the slot would just be empty. Or will you be converting to a hand e-brake? People on here have done that.

2. How would you mount the console in there? Just make sure to get the brackets that hold the console to the trans hump (2 or 3???). Cut the carpet where the brackets will go and screw the brackets into place. I've heard people say there are location dimples but I've never found any.

3. If you have a set of MJ bucket seat brackets will an XJ bucket seat fit on it? Yes, but there are are a couple types of XJ seats some will sit too high, search for this topic, Pete has posted info several times.

There are two rubber flaps that pretty much cover the slot, and if you put one of these cup holders http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12035-50-Console-Cup-Holder-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-1984-96-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2af3a537QQitemZ400152569143QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories there, you won't even see it. I also like putting the heat duct that runs the length of the XJ console back in to send some heat to the back. If you do this, remember to also take the heat vent box (under ash tray) from the XJ.

Thanks for the info. I do not plan on converting to the hand ebrake. I might just make something to sit that position to stop things from falling in there

That's where I hide my extra key set incase I lock myself out. Gotcha! :dunce:

There are two rubber flaps that pretty much cover the slot, and if you put one of these cup holders http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12035-50-Console-Cup-Holder-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-1984-96-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2af3a537QQitemZ400152569143QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories there, you won't even see it. I also like putting the heat duct that runs the length of the XJ console back in to send some heat to the back. If you do this, remember to also take the heat vent box (under ash tray) from the XJ.

Good idea. I might buy one.

Thanks for the info. I do not plan on converting to the hand ebrake. I might just make something to sit that position to stop things from falling in there

If you lock yourself out, how are you going to get to the extra set of keys? :)

X2

:popcorn:

Rob L.

That's easy! I always leave my window down. That way, I can reach in through the window and reach the hidden set of keys. :doh: