Flying Lessons

jimoshel

Gave my grand daughter her first flying lesson today. In another week or so she'll be old enough I can give her an MJ and get her started wrenching on it. People always said I was hurrying things.

You have a private pilots license?

That is the hardest part. I helped pay for my private by working around the airport, Washing and servicing A/C.Sweeping the hanger, flight line, Running errands etc. And,,, unashamedly sucking up to the pilots to 'take me up' when they went someplace. GI Bill helped pay my Commercial. Just exactly where you located? How many hours do you have as a student? Solo yet? Finished ground school?

That is the hardest part. I helped pay for my private by working around the airport, Washing and servicing A/C.Sweeping the hanger, flight line, Running errands etc. And,,, unashamedly sucking up to the pilots to 'take me up' when they went someplace. GI Bill helped pay my Commercial. Just exactly where you located? How many hours do you have as a student? Solo yet? Finished ground school?

I'm in fort collins(yarg I know 3 hours away).

I was doing ground school concurrently with flight time. We would do an hour or two of ground school and then an hour of flight time, me and my dad would take turns doing it.

I would have to go check my log, but I recall I only had about 6-8 hours flight time(at something like $150 an hour it adds up quick).

If you were seriously willing to help I would get my @$$ in gear and be finishing up with ground school before we even set foot in a plane.

We were looking into ownership pretty heavily, looking at different options for building our own plane, seemed like a good way to go, though super time intensive. We joined a club/co-op that was a pretty good deal though, seems like joint/communal ownership of a plane is a good way to go.

There are several options. Flying club can be the best, or worse, way to go. Check it out thorougly B4 joining. To many members there will be a conflict of getting a plane. Not enough, the dues will be high. Are the planes older, needing more maintenance? Shiny new ones with full panel, higher dues. 20 members is about max. 10 is almost ideal. Talk to couple members and see what they think of it. If you can fly week days when everyone else is working is best. Many clubs has an instructor on board with reduced rates. Buying your own is an option. There are many older but still very airworthy planes out there can be bought at a very reasonable price. Work out a deal with a FI. let him use the plane to instruct other students and give you a reduced rate. Building your own is a way but not if your in a hurry, but fun and educational. I started 4 but only finished one. Besides can't use a HB for flight training. Try to find the smallest FBO around. Avoid the Big city airports. Even if you have to drive a couple miles more. I soloed when I was 16. Got my SEL when I was 17. But things were a lot easier, less formal back then than they are now.

There are several options. Flying club can be the best, or worse, way to go. Check it out thorougly B4 joining. To many members there will be a conflict of getting a plane. Not enough, the dues will be high. Are the planes older, needing more maintenance? Shiny new ones with full panel, higher dues. 20 members is about max. 10 is almost ideal. Talk to couple members and see what they think of it. If you can fly week days when everyone else is working is best. Many clubs has an instructor on board with reduced rates. Buying your own is an option. There are many older but still very airworthy planes out there can be bought at a very reasonable price. Work out a deal with a FI. let him use the plane to instruct other students and give you a reduced rate. Building your own is a way but not if your in a hurry, but fun and educational. I started 4 but only finished one. Besides can't use a HB for flight training. Try to find the smallest FBO around. Avoid the Big city airports. Even if you have to drive a couple miles more. I soloed when I was 16. Got my SEL when I was 17. But things were a lot easier, less formal back then than they are now.

Yes the club we belong to was pretty big, but also had 6-7 planes, so getting one was almost never an issue.

Did not know a home built could not be used for training.

We went with the flight club because it meant reduced rates on the instruction and aircraft, it work out well at the time but even then ended up being costly. :(

I should have been more specific. It's not the number of members only that counts. There's also how many planes does the club have? It's the ratio of members to planes that counts. There can be 100 members if there is say 10-15 A/C available. Experimental, IE, Homebuilt A/C can't be used for any commercial use. Since your paying an instructor that makes it commercial. However once you get signed off to solo and if you've been signed off for that type of plane you can fly it.

Yep, that's the same way I got my private while stationed at Yorktown, VA Naval Weps Station. The Ft Eustis flying club was just across the street from where I lived and I worked there after hours and weekends w/o pay, only for flight time. Soloed after only six hours; my knees are still black and blue from shaking on the touch and goes. Got my private there and kept it active for 20+ more years through flight clubs in the Philippines, Korea, Guam, and the Marshall Islands. Island hopping in the Philippines, Marianas and Marshall Islands to WWII battle sites in C172's or similar was a great vacation for the wife and then the daughters and taught them a lot of history too. Never had any desire to go commercial or instructor, just used it as a tool to see what I wanted to see. Gave it up when I returned to CONUS about 12 years ago. It's probably impossible to do now w/o military flight clubs unless you have very deep pockets. Good times.............

Yep, Pretty much. When were you in the Marshalls? Was there in '72-'73 and again in '74. Flying club had 2 Cesna 150's and Beech 35. N 1017 rented for $17.50 an hour, basic panel. N??23 rented for $19 an hour. It a had a artificial horizon for instrument training. Beech rented for $27 an hour.Most interesting club I belonged to was in Thule. They had a French Rallye 35. Them slotted wing panels were something else. June 1980 Traded it in and got a shiney brand new 172. Me and Iegel went to the Cessna factory in Wichita and picked it up. What was a planned 5 day return trip took 13 days. Weather. In Isreal the flying club only had Piper PA28. Lost it when this idiot flew to close to a wrong area and got shot down by some Arab. Spain had 2 A/C, one a neat little Heinkel 2 seater, all wood construction, and a German Bi Plane. Don't remember the manufacterer of it. They were being made for the German army as spotting, observation craft. That was one neat little plane. In 'Nam got in some flying time with the Marine Corps L10 they had. To bad we're not in a hanger having this chat. We could be enjoying a brewski.

:cheers:

I was in Kwajalein from 90-95. The club there had two C150s and two C172s. The hourly rates were about double from what you posted. Again, I worked the counter for flight time until they closed the club in 93. We were only allowed to go the the outer islands on the Atoll, and only three had landing strips. Got a few multi-engine hours on the Dash-7s that ferried to workers to some of the outer islands. In Guam I flew out of the Andersen AFB club. There was an old Navion NAV-4-532 twin there that was an interesting ride. Subic in the Philippines had a big club at Cubi Point, with 12 total aircraft, all Cessna 150s and 172s. Had a lot of rides there in Marine F4 back seats too. Damn, that was fun. 'Course that's all gone now since we closed the bases. :fs1: I'd still be there if we had stayed, sucking San Miguels........