Wing window swap

Can locking wing windows out of an XJ be installed in an MJ with fixed windows? I'm assuming it can be done reasonably easily but would like to know if there's anything to watch out for. Like the door glass falling off track or breaking when it falls to the bottom of the door. :wall:

Can locking wing windows out of an XJ be installed in an MJ with fixed windows? I'm assuming it can be done reasonably easily but would like to know if there's anything to watch out for. Like the door glass falling off track or breaking when it falls to the bottom of the door. :wall:

i have a set of wing windows i want to install on mine too. i havent really looked into it. anyone done it? :dunno:

Hate to chime in when I can't help much but the PO of mine switched the driver's side with an opening window. I "think" it's done like a J-10. You remmove the stop at the bottom, gently let the window go to the bottom of the door. There should be screws/bolts mounting the window frame to the door. After they are out you should be able to pry the whole frame & vent back twords the rear, do a lot of wiggling and slide it up & out. I've replaced the vent on my J-10, and that's what I had to do. Your arms will not like you....you will probly be in the door up to your arm pit, no space & lots of places to get cut. Hope this helps a little.

You replace the entire window and frame assembly, which IIRC includes the front vertical track for the large window. It's not difficult to do, just a nuisance.

However ... as an owner of a 1988 Cherokee bought new, for which I paid extra for the then-optional vent windows ...DON'T DO IT! The operable vents leak. Period. They leak, and short of gluing them shut with silicone adhesive there is not way to make them not leak. My Cherokee vents leaked from the day I bought it. I took it in under warranty, and the zone rep offered to authorize the dealership to "fix" the problem. The fix? Replace the operable vents with the non-operable windows. No refund of what I paid for the option, of course.

I politely told him to screw off, and applied a bead of silicone around each vent. No leaks in 22 years -- and the "vents" have not been opened in 22 years.