motorcycle keys are hard to get...

Squeegy410

yesterday i made it my goal to find somone who could cut me a new key for my motorcycle. my brother gave me the bike and it didnt have a key with it. i got the tumbler off of it and started calling every lock smith in the yellow pages. noone in my county made bike keys nor did they know of anyone who did. finally i found a locksmith who told me about another locksmith who would make the keyy. i gave him a call and he verified that he could make it, and asked where i wanted to meet him. it turned out that his shop was a van so i was going to have to hunt him down. i left my house to find him around 1 and called him to get directions to the middle of nowhere. i found him in a huuuggge parking lot that is used for auctions. he was the only person in this 30 acre parking lot. it was a very shady situation to say the least. i parked and walked up to his van to find a guy with a gun on his hip sitting in a van making keys. i gave him the tumbler and he quickly made two keys for the bike without saying much. i asked him how much it would cost and he told me 80 dollars :eek: i scrounged through the mj until i found 77.30. he took it and sent me on my way with two keys. it was quite the adventure :yes:

I had to do the same thing. Instead of pulling the ignition cylinder, I pulled the cylinder off a side cover that uses the same key as the ignition. Told the locksmith it was my desk drawer lock cylinder. $10 and out the door. :D

i wish mine were that simple :ack: yamahas have a really weird key and the blanks are harder to find than the arc of the friggin covenant. if i would have told a smith that this thing was from a desk he would have told me to throw it away and buy a new one :rotf:

The store where my wife manages had a old locking (round key) display they trashed, nice to put my dads lionel trains in I thought. Its was keyed the same as others in the store and I could not get a key with it. Could borrow my wifes for a few hours but no one would cut it I had to either bring the display in or buy a whole new lock set. Not sure what you have but theres tons of keys on flea bay also some who will cut round keys if you have the code. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

No, that's the stock fuel cap with the lock broken out of it. Opens up fine with a flathead screwdriver...

gotchya. yeah i thought about taking my tumbler out and sticking in a random key then grinding all the prongs off the tumbler, but i didnt want to do that the the ignition, gas tank, and helmet lock. so i just took it to the smith and got robbed :shake: