Cheapest Way to Swap 8 Tires?

I have a friend with a '90 Cherokee Sport and his OE sport wheels are in vastly better shape than the AL wagon wheels on my MJ. He's leaving the states in a month or so and said I could have his wheels as long as he had something on there to sell the truck. My BFG tires have about 10K so I'd want to keep them. The problem is that it would cost me $80+ to have someone dismount/remount 8 tires (swap my tires to the new rims and vice versa). This upgrade is in the category of want to do, rather than need to do so the budget is pretty low. Any suggestions on a better way to do this?

I have a HF tire m/unmount. paid for itself already.

Don't think you can do heavy off road tires, maybe you can with some help.

Then what about balance? More $, Me I put 7oz airsoft BBs in my 31 10 treadwrights. No issues what so ever.

If the rims and tires are nice, suggest you bite the bullet, pay someone, or make friends with a tire guy.

Then there is the oldest way of all, get two long tire spoons (maybe 30 +/-) each and do it the hard way on the ground.

Its fairly tough to do without the right equipment and is time consuming. Breaking the bead is easy, you can do that with a Hi-lift or any jack really using the weight of the Jeep. It's getting the tire over the edge of the rim that's the challenge. It can be done with a couple of standard tire tools but the longer the pry bars the easier it will be. There a several youtube videos demonstrating different ways to do it. Mobile tire repair guys usually have a specialized set of pry bars and there are several companies that make specialized tools to mount and dismount tires without a machine. Be careful if you try it. You're putting a lot of leverage on the tires and the pry bars can spring out and get you....if you use the flammable aerosol trick to "blow" the bead back on --- for God's sake only use a very small amount. I've done it, but I don't recommend it. It works, but its very dangerous, it can blow right through the tire. The safer method is to wrap a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and squeeze the bead close enough to get it to pop on with an air hose.

I have a HF tire m/unmount. paid for itself already.

Don't think you can do heavy off road tires, maybe you can with some help.

Then what about balance? More $, Me I put 7oz airsoft BBs in my 31 10 treadwrights. No issues what so ever.

I use my HF one on big tires all the time, I actually find them easier since the sidewalls are softer. I have swapped out 31, 32, 33, 35, 36's with it. I also use the airsoft pellets to balance them, I buy the big gallon sized jug of them from walmart.

I use my HF one on big tires all the time, I actually find them easier since the sidewalls are softer. I have swapped out 31, 32, 33, 35, 36's with it. I also use the airsoft pellets to balance them, I buy the big gallon sized jug of them from walmart.

Can you explain the balance portion a bit more? How do you tell where to put the weights and how much? I assume you don't have a balance machine available. Also where do you get the tool to unscrew the valve stem?

That is pretty much the tire changer that I have.

I also have the motorcycle wheel adapter, used that last week for my sportys back tire.

Saves me money again and again.

For weight, I use this chart http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm

I use airsoft BBs instead of their product. Put them in my Harley back wheel, I feel that the ride is definitely better than a dynamic balance. Dynamic balancing can go out of balance after time, the bbs position themselves perfectly every time.

I weigh the correct amount (BBs) on a postage scale, put them in the tire before I inflate it.

For your situation, you will probably be ahead to pay somebody.

For me, I do a lot of work on vehicles, fix tires for friends. I've been able able to recoup my costs.

If you see more tire work in your future........

I never heard of using Dynabeads or BBs in the tires at all. Very interesting. If I had a tire changer I would have saved $180 last year so it definitely might be worthwhile. I have a month or so before I need to swap the tires so I have some time to think on it. I learn something new every day :)

I have a friend with a '90 Cherokee Sport and his OE sport wheels are in vastly better shape than the AL wagon wheels on my MJ. He's leaving the states in a month or so and said I could have his wheels as long as he had something on there to sell the truck. My BFG tires have about 10K so I'd want to keep them. The problem is that it would cost me $80+ to have someone dismount/remount 8 tires (swap my tires to the new rims and vice versa). This upgrade is in the category of want to do, rather than need to do so the budget is pretty low. Any suggestions on a better way to do this?

Why yes, there is, and it doesn't involve switching tires onto "new" rims. Do what I do:

post an ad asking if anyone in your local area club or classifieds have a cheap set of crap "rollers" on 5x4.5 rims. Usually you can find some for real cheap. Plus you get an extra set of rims out of it, and can sell them to pay it off.