'98 cherokee keyless entry

JeepcoMJ

so.

I have a '97 cherokee.

that's running all '98 wiring, which was necessary because the '98 was a 5 speed, the '97 was not, and I wanted a 5 speed.

Anyways.

the '98 had power windows and locks. it also had keyless entry, but no FOB's.

So, I bought a '97-98 fob, and a 99+ fob.

well, then I just HAD to add an overhead console. added one from a '00, complete with the wiring for it from the fuse panel to the OHC, as well as with lighted mirrors.

so, I now have a '97 xj with '98 wiring and power windows/locks, with '00 cruise control, and '98 cruise switches, with an '00 overhead console.

that in mind, I didn't swap the keyless command module out with the '98's.

Here's the question;

since I'm using a 2000 keyless reciever/controller, can I use the 2000 style key fob, or is that determined by the year of ECU? I WANT the new style FOB...I hate the old style FOB.

anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Pat

Kind of off topic question, but...

If I have a '98XJ with RKE and I also want to use the 99+ style keyfobs, is this 99+ keyless command module plug and play into a 98XJ harness?

I know I threw a lot of years out there, but it does make sense if you read it carefully :D

If I have a '98XJ with RKE and I also want to use the 99+ style keyfobs, is this 99+ keyless command module plug and play into a 98XJ harness?

I know I threw a lot of years out there, but it does make sense if you read it carefully :D

Should be able to without any issue. Worst case you need to swap the connector out, but it was very easy to pull the pins out in order to install mine...the connector by the fuse box was different between years, as were two wire colors, but it was simple and straight forward enough.

99 unit will plug and play with the 98 wiring harness. Just make sure you use the 99+ remotes.

Related question:

I found the window sticker in my 99 XJ donor. It indicates the rig has keyless entry, however all I have is one key for the jeep. I know by purchasing a 99+ fob the dealer will need to program the remote. (I can see it now... Yes, I want you to program this 99 XJ remote to work in this MJ) What I don't know is where the receiver is in the XJ. It does not a have the full console, but does have some light assembly up there. Is this where the receiver is?

Related question:

I found the window sticker in my 99 XJ donor. It indicates the rig has keyless entry, however all I have is one key for the jeep. I know by purchasing a 99+ fob the dealer will need to program the remote. (I can see it now... Yes, I want you to program this 99 XJ remote to work in this MJ) What I don't know is where the receiver is in the XJ. It does not a have the full console, but does have some light assembly up there. Is this where the receiver is?

Yes the RKE is in the overhead light.

Are you doing a 99 interior swap on your MJ?

dealership up here just said they won't even touch the cherokee.

something about a bastardized vehicle and "hackjob wiring".

I told them there's nothing hack-job about it. matter of fact, there's not one single non-factory splice in the entire wiring harness. told them to think of it as a '99. They said that without the vin reading as a '99, they can't touch it.

So I went and talked to a service tech there. he's going to be in the shop on saturday, and will do it for me for $25. at least someone understands.

I have 4 '99+ remotes that will be programmed to the jeep. two for both spare sets of keys, one for my room mate's set of keys, one for mine.

another thing I did is pop a couple wires into the unlock pins in the driver's side kick panel, and run them to an undisclosed location with a push button switch on it on the exterior of the vehicle (no, they're not "spliced"...literally pushed into the connector before it was plugged together :D). That way if I lock my keys in, it's no problem.

RKE is in overhead light, or some of the early 97's had it in a small dome between the center of the visors like the 96- had.

Crap. I was afraid of that. I've already had my headliner recovered and my visors recovered in the Comanche and now they won't work.

RKE is in overhead light, or some of the early 97's had it in a small dome between the center of the visors like the 96- had.

Crap. I was afraid of that. I've already had my headliner recovered and my visors recovered in the Comanche and now they won't work.

not true. just relocate the RKE elsewhere.

you actually could use the xj overhead light, even the full console (cut down of course), with xj short visors. all it is is slicing a hole or two in the headliner...and that hole will get covered up by the light or the console, so it's nothing to worry about.