stock ???

To the off roaders I need some options;

I'm running stock axles with 33s, my questions are whats the biggest tire size I can go without finding problems. My truck is lifted so thats not a big deal. I do mostly trails, mud, and anything that gets in my way. I have an op to pick up some 35s real cheap. I'm not to sure the stock axle strength so thats why I'm asking yall. Also, what is an ideal gear ratio with tire size that works the best for everyone....Thanks all..!!!!

its all how you drive it. drive smart and don't beat on the axles and they will treat you well. i would say you would be fine on 35s in the mud with a dana 35 but it the rocks it may be a different story. I've seen guys running locked dana 35s on 35s in the rocks and they have not had any problems. its all boils down on how you drive.

Not much rocks in my playgrounds, more deep ruts then rocks...Well thats good to know that the stock rears will/should take 35s...I might just keep the 33s for now because I love how much travel my rig has....Thanks for your 2 cents...

A follow up question tho....If I were to beef up the rears...should I look for some danas from a wagoneer? I do believe they should work. But are they strong? I run with big trucks with dana 60, 70s , chevy 14 bolt and rockwells....Thanks for looking!!

To Pete:

I do believe the rears are stock 35s. I was a craigslist find some months ago. It was already set up for some serious offroad so basicly i just turn the key and go...I was just thinking any upgrades to the rears would be a different gear ratio like a 4.88 or 4.56 to push the 35 tires through some thick mud without putting too much stress on the lil dana 35 rear....Thats my goal, a nice set up using mostly stock stuff. Thanks again for the info!

If you are going to upgrade gears, don't do it to a dana35. XJ Chrysler 8 1/4", XJ Dana 44, and Explorer 8.8" axles are abundant, strong and buildable. I don't see a dana 35 lasting very long with 35" tires even if you are an easy driver. Putting the money into gearing a 35 is a waste, when youll need to get a bigger axle anyways. But the Dana 30 is buildable to last with 35" tires. Regear the 30 and beef it up with better axles and U-joints, and maybe truss it and youll be fine on that end. Good luck.

what he said. don't ever EVER sink that much money into a Dana 35. new brake pads and gear oil are the limit I would put into a Dana 35. it's not worth any further investment.

I blew up a dana 35 with 30" tires, so individual results vary. don't assume that you'll be fine. I can't stop you from buying those tires, but you'd better plan ahead and start looking for something stronger.

35s are a LOT of tire.

I know multiple people who have blown up their 35 with stock to 31 inch tires. Heck a friend of mine blew up his 35 on stock tires... halfway from his apartment to 7-11, in his daily driver.

If you are going to spend the money on a regear do not do it on a d35. You'll be dropping 250 dollars or more on just gears, bearings, and carrier, plus more for labor if you can't do gear setup yourself (which not many people can... at least not right) and adding another 100 for insurance by buying a better axle to regear is well worth it. Hell, if you switch to a 29 spline 8.25, you will save some of that money back because you won't have to buy a new carrier since the carrier break on the 8.25 is well out of the range anyone with a jeep will use.