AW-4 not shifting **Warning XJ Tech**

Yeah, tech for my new XJ.

Y'all will help anyway, right? :D

95 4.HO XJ AW-4 / NP231. Placing the shifter handle in D - the jeep will NOT shift out of first. I can manually shift it from 1-2 -> 3 with the lever and it dumps into 3rd gear.

Am going to start with fuses but are there any other telltale things I should check?

My MJ's AW-4 hasn't given me many issues, none related to non-shifting at that.

Halp! :dunce:

Like Lead says there are several possible causes, but normally if you can shift an AW4 manually but it will not shift by itself it's TCU related. Either a bad module or the inline fuse powering it is blown.

No shift automaticly from 1st to 2nd/3rd is probally do to a bad valve body solenoid. Disconnect the TCU terminal and with ignition off probe the #2 solenoid (vio-wht) wire with pos & neg grounded to tranny. If not in 11-15 OHM scale solenoid is bad. You don't have to pull the pan to do it but, if you can't find the correct wires it makes it simplier and you can pull the bad solenoid, if thats the case, while your in there. It could also be a case of corrosion or misalignment of the contacts in the NSS. This can be probed at the NSS unit connector usually located at the left rear of engine block near heater control valve. Place gear selector in 3rd and key on. There should be continuity between A and G marked on connector.

No shift automaticly from 1st to 2nd/3rd is probally do to a bad valve body solenoid. Disconnect the TCU terminal and with ignition off probe the #2 solenoid (vio-wht) wire with pos & neg grounded to tranny. If not in 11-15 OHM scale solenoid is bad. You don't have to pull the pan to do it but, if you can't find the correct wires it makes it simplier and you can pull the bad solenoid, if thats the case, while your in there. It could also be a case of corrosion or misalignment of the contacts in the NSS. This can be probed at the NSS unit connector usually located at the left rear of engine block near heater control valve. Place gear selector in 3rd and key on. There should be continuity between A and G marked on connector.

I'm going with this guy

I'm going with this guy

2 X's

Plus - little more details -

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/ ... index.html