tons of ?s looking for answers. HELP!!

idk why i was posting in a build thread but hey I'm here now and before long youll be sick of me :D

ill start with the vid because its what i have saved.

whats up with the clicking noise when i shutdown the motor?

now for pictures questions

drivers side axle. is that crack supposed to be there?

pass side, is there supposed to be a seal or something around the axle?

1) That's noisy oil dripping down thu the engine to the pan... Mine does tis too, just not as noisly as yours. :brows: :shake:

2) That is some kind of a seal someone put in there. Shouldn't matter, it doesn't need to be sealed there are real seals on the sides of the pumpkin in the solid axle and just to the side of the cad in the two piece axles..

3) That is a factory bushing. Doesn't seal anything. Its just meant to keep debris to a minimum in the axle tubes.

CW

i didnt know oil could make a clicking noise :hmm: do you know why or is it just a jeep thing

and in the last pic, theres not supposed to be anything in that gap I'm pointing to? maybe one of those internal seals is leaking because fluid is leaking out from there. hell now that i look back fluid is coming out of both sides. i wonder what the deal is

thanks for response :cheers:

Like I said, yours is pretty noisy, but I'm fairly certain that's all it is. If it stops raining I'll make a video of mine so you can hear. Most engines will do this some are louder then others.

If oil is leaking out of the axle tubes. Your axle seals are leaking. I'm going out on a limb here... the P.O. installed the "seal" instead of changing the leaking seal.

The plastic one is not a seal by any stretch. Its more of a deflector to keep as much debris out of the axle tubes as possible.

BTW, I'm not offended, but nicely suggest you fine a more "friendly" avatar. ;) This is not a "pirate" over here on this side of the fence. Again, just a friendly suggestion. :cheers:

CW

cool thanks man. I'm buying the haynes manual so i should be good on a lot but ill still have plenty to say lol

yeah i was looking for another pic. figured it wouldnt go over too well here (maybe why no ones replys) but finding a good one is just so hard. ill change it out tonight, ive just always thought it was funny

oh yeah while ive got you here, i was looking at this gasket set. any word on it? it being mopar i thought it would hold its own. http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

What are your plans with the gasket set? Are you going to pull the whole engine? If not, I would just recommend the valve cover, pan, and maybe timing cover if this is on the jeep, but if its not leaking, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rob L.

My 88 makes the same snap crackle popping noises. :dunno: I don't know what it is, but I doubt it's oil dripping. Originates from about the middle of the block. My guess was that it's the aluminum head contracting at a different rate than the steel block. But then again, no other renix Jeep I've witnessed makes that noise. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

What are your plans with the gasket set? Are you going to pull the whole engine? If not, I would just recommend the valve cover, pan, and maybe timing cover if this is on the jeep, but if its not leaking, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rob L.

nah no engine pull here. I'm sure nothing has been changed since it was made but ill just stick with the basic ones for now i guess. it should be done today and ill know where that damned leak is coming from.

My 88 makes the same snap crackle popping noises. :dunno: I don't know what it is, but I doubt it's oil dripping. Originates from about the middle of the block. My guess was that it's the aluminum head contracting at a different rate than the steel block. But then again, no other renix Jeep I've witnessed makes that noise. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

i was starting to think thrown rod cause i had a blazer that clicked like that and next thing i know i have a hole in my motor. but if you guys say other wise, just hope your right.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2.5 has that plastic valve cover. To be honest I hate the plastic valve covers. Mine is cracked from age and somebody tightening to much on some of the bolts I'd guess. Has plenty of small cracks almost around each bolt from what I can see, luckily the cracks are small enough where the oil leakage is miniscule. When I first got the jeep I looked for metal valve covers for the 2.5 but never could find any. Did they not offer any for that engine?