tranny stuck in 4th

while trying to get my comanche in a more managable position in order to get it on a trailer my transmission got stuck in 4 gear, we took off the drive shaft to be able to move it still, well i just got a call from the place it took it (was going to have the slave cylinder and clutch replaced) and they wanted to know what i wanted to do, is there any easy way to pop it out of gear of is it gone? or is it just better to get a new transmission?

thanks,

Jonathan

My old Peugeot once got stuck in second. We coasted to the side of the road to fiddle with it. Ended up succeeding by kicking it, hard. While I don't necessarily suggest that, it did work for us. But then we were 2 hours from home and looking at getting a tow anyway, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to be a little extra aggressive with it. :D I might not have done the same thing if it was in my driveway.

did the kicking fix it perminatly? or did it just get it out of gear that one time, might it have anything to do with the slave cylinder being going and having no pressure in the clutch system what so ever? I'm just looking for the best solution for the cheapest price, so either i figure a way to get it out of gear, or pull the other transmission out of my other truck and have the garage swap them at the same time they change out my slave cylinder/clutch assembly. when it got stuck i was using the starter to bump it to a more managable position for towing since there is no hydrolic pressure in the lines, i went to shift in reverse and it went into 4th, and doesnt want to come out. is that a situation where i could have bent or broken something? anyone know of an easy fix? unfortunatly for right now i don't have the truck its at the garage so i can't really try anything.

any help would be awsome.

Jonathan

did the kicking fix it perminatly?

Sorta. That trans always gave me problems when the oil level got low (slow leak out the back), but that was the only time it ever got "stuck" in a gear. Usually it was just noisy or got difficult to shift.

Usually it was just noisy or got difficult to shift.

sounds alot like mine... VERY difficult to get into first or second, and just a PITA... reeks of gear oil inside the truck too.

Pete, how long did it take yours to finally kaboom after the noisiness and difficulties started?

I can’t believe no one here has not offered the suggested of the opportunity of upgrade to the AX15. And I think that may just be the way to go because from the sound of it this tranny is just junk no madder what. Just my thought is save the money on the rebuild and do the upgrade.

I can’t believe no one here has not offered the suggested of the opportunity of upgrade to the AX15. And I think that may just be the way to go because from the sound of it this tranny is just junk no madder what. Just my thought is save the money on the rebuild and do the upgrade.

i don't recall reading about him wanting to rebuild the BA10 but nobody on the forums would suggest that, i thought we were trying to get the truck moving as easily as possible.

but most definately so, DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY REBUILDING IT.

he wasn't thinking about rebuilding it, he was just wondering if anyone knew what caused it to get stuck and if it could be saved. ax-15 was a thought but he has a parts truck with a decent ba-10 in it, and to cut cost we're just gonna pull that one and install it. thanks for all the help guys.

Rich

p.s. i only know all this because hes my brother in-law(and i have to help pull the tranny)

he wasn't thinking about rebuilding it, he was just wondering if anyone knew what caused it to get stuck and if it could be saved. ax-15 was a thought but he has a parts truck with a decent ba-10 in it, and to cut cost we're just gonna pull that one and install it. thanks for all the help guys.

Rich

p.s. i only know all this because hes my brother in-law(and i have to help pull the tranny)

well I'm gonna throw another BA10 in mine, cheaper, and the right spline count... no thinking, just swapping... i like the way they shift when they're good too, just gotta make sure and keep it full of oil.

ill go AX eventually.

Ok ok I will go back to my hole :oops: I must of miss read the post I agree if you have one laying around that great because that is what I am doing as will I just thought that some one on here would have made the suggestion that’s all