A few more 8.8 questions

So my questions keep building as i get deeper into the 8.8 swap. Yesterday i noticed a round plug sort of thing on the top of the pumpkin. I went to pull it out, and found that it was a magnet. I pulled it out and its got copper wire wrapped around it. What is this, and do i need it?

Image Not Found

Also, i am having trouble getting the c clips off so i can get the axle shafts out. This is my first time working with c clips, and i'm not sure on the best way to pull them.

You need to pull the center pin out for the spider gears, then you push the axle shaft IN, and the clips come right off.

At least that's how they work on a D35 and 8.25.

As for the magnet, I've never heard of something like that. I would think a magnet in a diff would be on the bottom..

got the axle shafts out, and i was thinking it was some sort of sensor. It looks kind of like something connected to it, or there was a plug there or something because underneath where i found it there was a bolt. Looked like whatever it is something bolts up to it that connects to it. :dunno: Don't think its much of a problem, i guess i'll just plug the whole with something and be done with it.

yep that's the ABS sensor as already covered... as for the c-clips it comes apart just like a d35 or 8.25. Use a 5/16" GOOD QUALITY 6 point ratchet on that cross shaft retention bolt or you're gonna be grinding the head down and welding a nut to it so you can get the @#$%@%@ing thing out! Don't ask... oh... and I have two spare retention bolts if you end up needing them, I had to buy a pack of 3 because it was a special order :oops:

Oh, and a little heat on the carrier between the head of the bolt and the end of the cross shaft goes a LONG way in getting it out painlessly. They use yellow threadlocker on that bolt.