Another TIRE thread...

I was so disappointed in the OE Rubi MT/R's I ditched them after 10K. They are not a great mud tire ( Goodyear stated MT was for Maximum Traction, not Mud Terrain). They sucked on wet pavement & winter conditions. And as I mentioned above the wear/balance issue rep. was well earned on these.

I know run some Definity Dakota M/T's, an off-brand Cooper. They are heavily siped and are worlds better on the road than the MT/R's. They clean true mud very well. I do have concerns about side-wall strength and puncture reisitance, but not because of any issues known to me, just because they are an unknown factor for this tire. Their on-road performance on wet pavement and, according to friends, on snow/ice would make me recommend them for someone wanting an A/T for road manners but M/T performance.

Believe it or not, the Goodyear Authorty, a Wally World/Sam's house brand, has been getting some good reviews as an aggresive AT at a reasonable cost. :dunno:

:agree: So far I love my 285/75/16 Dakota MT's. Awesome tire for tha money. I paid $550 out tha door including road hazard and had my son mount um at tha dealership he works at. Tha way I see it I can buy two sets of um for less than 1 set of those high dollar name brand tires. Plus I git to have that new tire feeling twice and still not have spent $1200 bucks.

$1200-$1500 bucks for a set of tires is :nuts:

They have a pretty nice lookin A/T too. I came close to buying some instead of the M/T's but wanted something more aggressive. Again, two sets for less than tha price of one ....... its a no brainer for me.

JACKED88,

I must admit I never even considered these till you mentioned them.... I had a set of Pep-Boys MT's back in the early '90s on the TJ as I was building that up. They worked quite well but wore fast...

But you offer some very good points. (Made by Cooper. 40K warranty, $$$ ) The one negative, 2ply side wall... NOT TO ME!! I ran BFGs for years with ONLY a 2Ply side wall!! :yes: I will head over to Pep Boys next week and look at these! The $$ plus buy 3 & ! free is mighty tempting!! It's a good looking tire as well!

There is some real popularity with them!! 90% good positive replies!

Thank you for posting!

CW

My 245/75/16 versions on the KJ are an E-rated tire, and even if it is false hope, I am counting on that for a bit more puncture reistance and sidewall strength.

Their wet pavement traction is amazing (to me) for a true M/T.

JACKED88,

I must admit I never even considered these till you mentioned them.... I had a set of Pep-Boys MT's back in the early '90s on the TJ as I was building that up. They worked quite well but wore fast...

But you offer some very good points. (Made by Cooper. 40K warranty, $$$ ) The one negative, 2ply side wall... NOT TO ME!! I ran BFGs for years with ONLY a 2Ply side wall!! :yes: I will head over to Pep Boys next week and look at these! The $$ plus buy 3 & ! free is mighty tempting!! It's a good looking tire as well!

There is some real popularity with them!! 90% good positive replies!

Thank you for posting!

CW

Buy 3 git one free only applies if you let them mount and balance um plus I think they want you to buy a front end alignment. All said and done you can buy 4 tires with road hazard through their commercial sales for about tha same $$$ if not a little less. If you talk to tha commercial sales guy right he might be able to put um on somebodies business account so you don't have to pay any taxes. Thats what they did for me.

Even if these tires wear kinda fast I still think you can git as many if not more miles out of two sets of these verses 1 set of high dollar tires.

As for tha two ply side wall, I don't think for my style of offroading it'll be a problem. No, their probably not tha best choice for rock crawling or hard offroading but on my daily driver their doing just fine.

I absolutely love the previous version of those Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos... the Dueler APT. I've got 3 of them on my MJ, would be 4 but some d-bag stole one (yes, only one, hate drunk a-hole college kids from worcester state! :fs1: ) off my friend's lawn when I had them stored over there.

As for disposal fees, my local yard takes tires for free (Sam's Pull-a-Part in Worcester) so if you want tires gone, check at your local junkyard and if you can't get rid of them there, bring them up here and give them to Sam's.

I just ordered a set of Cooper STT's in 285/75R16..... Pics tomarrow.

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.

CW

OUCH!!! Gotta admit you picked a goodun, :drool: But DAMN!!! $$$$.00

Gittin into 4 digits for a set of tires is definitely out of my "wifes" price range. :thwak: :no:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm sure you'll enjoy um for many miles to come. comancheB.gif

I just ordered a set of Cooper STT's in 285/75R16..... Pics tomorrow.

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.

CW

OUCH!!! Gotta admit you picked a goodun, :drool: But DAMN!!! $$$$.00

Getting into 4 digits for a set of tires is definitely out of my "wife's" price range. :thwak: :no:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm sure you'll enjoy um for many miles to come. comancheB.gif

Yea, I hear you...

But like I explained, that's what they cost... The online tire places kinda suker you in with a lo per piece cost. Once you factor in the shipping (25-30 EA), mount/balance 15-25 EA), road hazard (8-15EA) + tire cost. Then you have to wait for them to arrive. I also prefer to support local retailers for the convenience they offer. In this case $225+30+10+13= $278per tire or $1390.00 for ON-LINE purchase, delivered to my door. I'll be paying just under $1500, so about 100 more. I can live with that.

CW