Starter?

I replaced the CPS 2 weeks ago and the truck was running fine. Now I turn the key and I can hear the fuel pump and the power comes on, but the engine does not. No clicking sound at all. Does this sound like the starter is bad? I have a 6 cyl.

First, check to see that your battery cables are in good shape, clean, grounded & tight. Assuming you have an automatic I'd be looking at the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS). Try to see if you can start it in Neutral. Do a search on NSS cleaning.

• 4 weeks later...

ParadiseMJ, you were correct. It is the NSS. The truck will start in neutral, but not park. My problem now is I can't get the damn switch off of the shaft. I've taken off the adjusting bolt, the tabbed washer, the attaching nut, and disconnected the connector in the engine bay. The switch will move a little bit up towards the engine but will not come off of the shaft. I've dowsed it with WD-40 and used flathead screwdrivers to remove the grime around and underneath the switch. I pull on it and it just budges a little bit. I do not know what else to do.

This is the most useful thread I have found:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_re ... okee_Sport

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I finally (after months of procrastination) got around to pulling the NSS off my '89 Comanche. Not a fun task. The slot in the NSS hub and the shaft from the transmission had rusted together. I tore the NSS apart getting it off. Bought a new one, which I will install this week... after cleaning up the shaft so it will go on easily