Front end wobble above 40 mph

I have this weird wobble after 40 mph. It shakes thru the whole truck. Thought it was tires or bearings but I put on a set of 32 - 11.50 - 15's today (they only rub at full turn in this stock truck) and the bearings and steering linkage was all tight. Could it be the steering stabilizer? What am I missing here? I can't find anything noticably loose or worn. Help me out here.

It could be so menay things it is unbelievable. First I would re-check all my u-joints, and regrease them. Then I would check my steering stabilizer. Personally I don't run one, I think they are over rated. Then If you still have that vibe after all that, I would check tire balancing. Some places don't balance the tires right. More then likely though it is a u-joint somewhere.

Patrick

I have a similar problem, although it's not progressed to DW yet. My trackbar bushings are worn. Reach under there grab the trackbar and yank on it as hard as you can. Mine moves about a 1/4" of an inch if you really wrestle with it. Time to replace bushings :)

thanks to all. I haven't really pinpointed it yet but at least I have somewhere to start. I tried to move anything and everything but nothing seems loose at all. Since I'll be doing a lift anyway, I'll start there and just replace bushings and whatnot from there till I get 'er done.

Thanks again, this site rocks almost as much as these trucks do! I gotta get this one done and go on one those trail rides.

Then I would check my steering stabilizer. Personally I don't run one, I think they are over rated.

I had bad death wobble, steering stab was shot, no death wobble at all since it's replacement. It's my hunch that some thing (or things) else is the root cause but a fresh steering stabilizer is keeping it under control.

You might have been confusing DW with speed vibratin or bump steering. All a steering stabilizer is suppose to do is reduce the amount of vibration felt back through the steering wheel. So now that you know the steering stabilizer reduce the problem figure out what was cauing it. Bad wheel bearings and bad front DS u-joints are always where I look first. Then I start looking else where.

Dynamiclly balancing your tires (using equal powder, or air soft pellets) will almost always eliminate tire balancing. AS long as you havent bent your steering linkage, it isnt your alignment. Then you just need to use the process of elimanation. Pull front DS, see if the vibes leave. If so replace u-joints(don't forget to regrease the cv part). Then start going onto other parts.

Patrick

IT"S GONE!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what did it but today I did track bar bushings, sway bar bushings, all the tie rod ends and the stabilizer and had the tires balanced. And the brain shaking is gone! My only regret is that I did it all at once and wasn't able to test drive after each part to see what made the biggest improvment. But if it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't really have known where to start and probably would have spent alot more time and money before figuring it out. THANK YOU ALL!

On a side note, I took the truck out wheeling today after the repairs and besides a little shimmy from 55 to 60 on the road there, it worked killer. I've driven alot of full size trucks that would have had trouble climbing some of the stuff I climbed in it. These things will climb a tree, literaly. I feel like I may have stumbled onto the best keeped secret in the 4x4 world. These trucks rock and you all can now consider me an official fanatic of the Jeep Comanche.

I'm already looking to snatch up some more of these trucks at rock bottom prices for parts and spares.

Thanks again.