starting problem

here's the info

88 mj

Turn key...it turns until it stops...turn hard then loud click and cit turns all the way

everything will turn on, fan i direct wired, fuel pump,etc

but when i turn the key, nothing

I go mess with the terminals, which are a good contact to battery, and itll start. or even sometimes ill wiggle the shifter...or turn on the lights and itll start????

Any ideas? Its happening alot more often now. Oh yeah, when i turn the truck off, thwres a 5 sec delay before it actually shuts off...idk...stumped

Is this the MJ you changed the lock cylinder on? It sounds like the ignition switch needs adjustment. It's held on by 2 bolts and you can loosen those bolts and slide the switch up or down on the column. Tighten the screws and test, repeat until it works right.

Mac...

Is this the MJ you changed the lock cylinder on? It sounds like the ignition switch needs adjustment. It's held on by 2 bolts and you can loosen those bolts and slide the switch up or down on the column. Tighten the screws and test, repeat until it works right.

Mac...

yes i did juat change the tumbler...Is there a thread on this?

Thanks

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, in between the battery and where the relays are under the hood. There are a bunch of little wires and fusible links.

If it also makes a click when you turn the key forward it could be the starter like said above. Turning the key more times may just be bumping it enough to turn the starter and start the truck.

Did you check the fuses since this happened? There are actually 2 fuses that control the radio. but one of them actually controls some othert stuff too. It says acc/int or something like that and one just says radio.