Please HELP!!!!

don't forget the little 2.5L.

Ive seen them go through hell and back. my uncle owns a '85 XJ with a 2.5L

Toronto to belleville in the middle of the day with no coolant except stale beer.(what can I say, thats what was in the back) 3 year old oil didn't help, but we made it back to Belleville with the poo-wagon and its still driving.

my 2.5 is going to roll 300 thousand km's in a few months, its compeltely bone stock original, burns no oil, runs great, its tougher than balls. AMC made some mad-quality engines.

thanks Pete, I guess I don't have to crank for a long period of time really? it just seems that I have to crank longer than I should have to for a fuel injected engine. I mean my 02 silverado fires right up where as my favorite MJ has to crank for a short time. I don't know? I'm probably making a big deal out of some thing very small. :nuts: :D Oh I have another question, my MJ is a pioneer model and it doesn't have a tach but I would like to put one in so I was wondering if I get a guage cluster out of a 87 to 90 XJ or MJ lareado would it be fairly simple to put it in my truck? (as far as a direct bolt in with the wiring harness working correctly) and if so would the smaller fuel guage work properly? Thanks again, you guys have been a HUGE help! Derek. Also Pete what brand would you suggest for an oil filter?

The more money you spend on an oil filter, the better the innards will be. Just don't get the cheapies.

The longer crank time is usually associated with the CPS , but is exceedingly common with our era Jeeps and not necessarily a bad thing. The sensor is probably a little dirty or there's some corrosion in the wire harness. If it wasn't explained yet, the CPS has a little magnet in it that jumps when certain teeth in the flywheel go by. This tells the computer where the crankshaft is in it's rotation and the computer will NOT fire until it is absolutely sure where the crankshaft is and if it ever loses signal from the CPS, it should kill the spark immediately. Modern engines are designed for quick startups (something they feel their customers want). It's not always easy to accomplish that though, I know Ford was having some problems back in the mid 90s with a couple engines.

The more money you spend on an oil filter, the better the innards will be. Just don't get the cheapies.

The longer crank time is usually associated with the CPS , but is exceedingly common with our era Jeeps and not necessarily a bad thing. The sensor is probably a little dirty or there's some corrosion in the wire harness. If it wasn't explained yet, the CPS has a little magnet in it that jumps when certain teeth in the flywheel go by. This tells the computer where the crankshaft is in it's rotation and the computer will NOT fire until it is absolutely sure where the crankshaft is and if it ever loses signal from the CPS, it should kill the spark immediately. Modern engines are designed for quick startups (something they feel their customers want). It's not always easy to accomplish that though, I know Ford was having some problems back in the mid 90s with a couple engines.

yeah, the CPS in our jeeps has to have one complete cycle of the engine before itll fire. hence the longer start time than the 02.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry guys I've been busy, anyway I changed the oil and ran motor flush thru the engine. and my oil pressure went up. to 30 pounds at idle and 45 to 50 running! jamminz.gif . but I'm still haveing problems with it running poorly, you know... still spits, sputters and cuts out? ONLY if I run it right after start up. If I let it warm up for about ten to fifteen minutes it runs fine? but if I run it all over, shut it off for even a minute and try to go again it acts up? :headpop: . oh and the strangest thing happened the other day, on the way home from work at a stop light it started to idle high and it continued to idle high all the way home. so when I got home I shut it off and started it right back up and it idled really high for about two or three minutes and then idled fine? but it only did it that one time?

:cry: someday I'll figure out what the deal is.

this sounds similar to the problem i had with my 89 i replaced the egr on the port side of the engine :brows: and it went back to normal not sure if the egr valve was one of the previously recommendations. but its worth a check hope this helps

Jeepon :cheers:

SOMETHING going on with the "juice" your TPS is getting!!

I replaced my battery a while back and had to have the TPS adjusted, it was getting more "JUICE"!!!

In case you didn't know, that's how you are SUPPOSED TO adjust the idle on a renix TB. Via the voltage.

I would take it to someone with a good meter and who knows how to check/adjust it properly.

CW