1987 Comanche Died

I drove in to my driveway and the MJ died. I get nothing when turning the key over. The lights work fine. I tried jumping off and rolling off, but nothing. I took another battery out of my XJ and tried that and nothing.

Where do I go from here?

You do not hear anything when you turn the key over. It also does not dim the headlights too. So, I don't think it is the starter!!

I drove in to my driveway and the MJ died. I get nothing when turning the key over. The lights work fine. I tried jumping off and rolling off, but nothing. I took another battery out of my XJ and tried that and nothing. .........

Since I've already made a fool of myself elsewhere today, I'm not going to assume anything here.

- So it's an 87. Which engine? Which tranny?

- Done any work to your MJ recently?

- When you say it died after you drove into the driveway, describe how it died. Sudden off, that's it or sputter, cough, kick, gasp, off or something else?

-When you say the lights work fine, which lights?

- Pardon my question, I don't speak easterner very well :D .....What is jumping off and rolling off? (See my first statement above about my actions today.)

There is a quick and easy test that you can run without getting any tools other than the one in your pocket. Insert the ignition key and turn to the on position. Any lights in the dash that should come on before start up should be lit at this point. The fuel pump should prime. The blinkers should work. This tests your ignition switch and gives an indication in another couple of areas. It is NOT a definitive, 100% test, but rather a quickie test to help narrow your search.

Scott

I did try a hammer to the starter and nothing.

It is a 2.5 manual not sure at this point the tranny. When pulling in driveway it just die suddenly with no warning. As far as turning the key over I get nothing on the dash at this point. ge

One thing came to mind when asked about how it died. For the last two weeks or so I had noticed something on the way to work. The MJ started fine!! My driveway is a mile long, when I pull on to the highway and try to get up to speed it seem to be bogged down for a minute and all of a suddened gain full power. I just thought I had trash in a line and haven't thought much about it. Maybe that was the start of this issue.

ox

Also, I have not done any work to this MJ for a while!!

Jumping off is using jumper cables or a jumper box and rolling off is getting a push to pop the clutch to start.

Good info for a starting point. I don't have a schematic in front of me to tell you where to look, but from your description your not getting electricity to the engine components. I would start at the battery and follow the wires (both). Check for loose connections, blown fusible links, blown fuses, wires shorted to engine/body, etc.

Armed with a test light, you will be ready for a treasure hunt. Good Luck!