help with engine problem, overheating maybe?

So my coolant tank on the closed system burst twice and after the second time I decided to do the conversion to open. This is what I've done so far:

-New thermostat

-New water pump

-New radiator

-New hoses all around

-New recovery tank

I filled it up with distilled water and coolant, and while checking for leaks after about 5 minutes of idling steam (smoke?) starting coming from the engine block (out of the oil filler cap). I only have an idiot temp light and I'm not even sure if it works (never came on), and I think the thermostat was open because there was coolant in both the heater lines and upper radiator hose. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I basically replaced the whole cooling system and it still seems like it's running as hot as ever.

Could it be something else in the actual engine that is jacked up that's causing it to overheat? Should I just continue running it through the smoke/steam (it's not a lot, but definitely noticeable and I didn't want to continue to run it and completely mess something up). Could the oil be bad and all that is needed is a simple oil change?

I just got it about a month ago and have only driven it a few miles so I'm not sure what else might be wrong with it. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you pull the dipstick, is it milky or coolant colored?

I have a feeling the "steam" you see out of the oil cap is normal, and just a little blow by, but lets start with making sure you don't have a headgasket leak.

Rob L.

When you change it, check for water as it comes out.

Does your coolant bubble in the radiator if you run it with the cap off? (Start it cold, with the cap off, and check for bubbles.) Do NOT open the cap hot and check for bubbles.

Rob L.

does the coolant STINK reallly really bad with tthe cap off? bad motors and head gaskets generally have a terrible smell to them.

Yes the old coolant did stink really bad when I drained it.

doesn't necessarily mean its the head gasket, the old coolant could just be reallly funky, how's the new stuff smell, and how long does it take for the engine to heat up when started and idling?

if it heats REALLY fast you may be getting exhaust in the coolant

So I changed the oil and it looked ok, no milky or white stuff in it. Started her up and looked for bubbles in the radiator cap, there were none. It did however start smoking about 5 minutes into it and seemed once again like it was getting really hot.

I'm going to take it for a test drive tonight not too far from home and see what happens.

How much smoke is "normal" for blowby?

At this point, there isn't much we can do for you until you can tell us if it is truly overheating or not. Might just be operating at normal temp for all you know. The amount of blowby will be in relation to the condition of the engine, there is no measurement for a "normal" amount.

Rob L.

So I took her out for a spin tonight, drove around for about 20 minutes and everything seems ok. No overheating issues (only have the idiot light, not the gauge), and once the hood is closed, you can't tell the engine is smoking a little.

Because there are no apparent true overheating issues, would I be safe to assume this is in fact blowby?