XJCowboys 86 MJ build

Today I started tearing down the MJ.

I got the entire engine bay stripped down and all its waiting for is an engine crane. Once its stripped down I want to clean the engine bay and paint it either Black or Desert tan (not sure which) because I want to paint the whole vehicle Desert tan before the Pa All Jeeps show. I am going to do the Inner fender wells black but I'm not sure how an entire engine bay would look black.

Here are some pictures of the progress.

Boxes of front clip parts and random hoses and tubes.

Why are there Ford vacuum hoses on the MJ and my 90 XJ?

I am swapping the 4.0/AW4 from my 92 XJ and the 231 from my 90 XJ into my MJ. I am basically condensing all my vehicles into 1 because I can't keep 2 on the road and one in storage. I am taking the lift and tires off my 90 XJ along with the bucket seats and any interior that will swap in and turning the back half of the 90 into a trailer.

Details of my thought process can be found HERE But don't worry I will post everything else here I don't think I need to clutter this thread up with that though.

I had a few ideas that will make this swap so much easier than it was going to be.

The first and probably most important one is instead of redoing the entire front clip/radiator support/frame area to fit a 4.0 radiator I am going to do a bed mounted radiator. If I use a grand cherokee radiator with a taurus 2 speed fan it will help keep that 4.0 nice and cool. If I mount the radiator at a 45 degree angle and about 8" off the bottom of the bed I can still put a long piece of steel or lumber in the back if needed. The second Idea is to mount the Battery in the bed and put it inside a water proof box of some sort. These would help unclutter the engine bay and allow me to just drop the 4.0 in with minor massaging of the fire wall.

I'm not sure on a motor color yet but I'm pretty sure I don't want it black. I have untill I pull the engine to decide what color the engine bay should be.

I only got a couple hours in at the shop today. I got everything that could be in the way of removing the engine disconnected or removed. I also got the fenders off so I could paint the inner fender and fender well. Not bad for 5 hours work total and considering half the fender bolts wanted to strip for me.

Good to know thanks.

The old unpainted patch panel. (just placed there by the looks of it not even screwed in)

Looking to the rear on the passenger side uni-rail

This is my progress on the engine bay. I still need to get in with some sand paper to get the rust out.

This is what it looked like before.

The rust does have one use. Hunter is working on the dash here and w/o seats this is just as good if not better.

Anyone want to buy a bench seat?

To do list/Parts list

• 1 month later...

I have good reason to have such slow progress with no updates.

I had a little accident at work and 2 of the tendons in my hand were cut. I won't be able to use my right hand (I'm a righty) for a month or so.

I am lucky enough to have a good friend that is willing to help me get the jeep on the road.

Radiator/Fan with the mount being built

My massive D-ring that will go on the front end

This is what it looks like when they reconnect the tendons in your hand

New parts keep accumulating

New parts and a few of the things that keep this build going

The tools that were used to take the Jeep apart

Been there, done that, shoulda got a t-shirt. Be sure to follow the doc's instructions. don't overstress the tendons early or you'll be back in surgery in no time.

A Shovel!? :rotf:

When is the Jeep Show, ive never been there but would love to go for once!

I believe its July 17-18.

don't ask about the shovel. It had its uses.

All I can say is I never new the rear quarter windows were so strong on a Cherokee.

Been there, done that, shoulda got a t-shirt. Be sure to follow the doc's instructions. don't overstress the tendons early or you'll be back in surgery in no time.

I'm tryin not to stretch it out I don't need to be out of work for much longer.