Yes, you do not NEED one.

Sometimes it can be difficult with out it but there are a couple "tricks" that will make the job easier. First do not remove the caps completely. Remove the bolts and re-install with a couple threads turned in to the case. Tow big screw drivers is the norm and pry it out. I like to use my head more then my brawn. Throw a socket on one of the ring gear bolts, reach around to the ring gear and turn it. Now put a wrench on it and turn, the leverage that this produces will generally "pop" the carrier out. Sometimes a bit of prying is required. All depending on how tite the case/shim combo is...

CW

Yessir.....thanks y'all.....sounds like getting it out shouldn't be too hard. I'm a little more concerned about getting it back in with the interference fit........just tap 'er back in with a dead-blow hammer I guess?

Yessir.....thanks y'all.....sounds like getting it out shouldn't be too hard. I'm a little more concerned about getting it back in with the interference fit........just tap 'er back in with a dead-blow hammer I guess?

with a PLASTIC dead blow hammer.

with a PLASTIC dead blow hammer.

"Plastic, natcherly!" :thumbsup:

If you were closer I'ld let you borrow my case spreader.

Well, I appreciate that, but don't get up that way much anymore. Went to high school in Saugerties, married my girl from there, then took 'er away from all that, and it took in all about 30 years to get her back home down here. :D