2wd axle, 4wd unit bearing

i can't remember, but i know its been figured out. it should work, but you may need the whole 4 wd knuckle. i've never had a 2wd axle on hand, i don't know if a unit bearing would bolt in place of a 2wd spindle or not.

but the reason not to is unit bearings are expensive and can't be maintained, only replaced. 2wd bearings are cheap and serviceable. you can buy 10 sets of bearings to one unit bearing.

then there's the whole brake discussion i guess

:agree:

You would also need to change out the yoke.

The 2wd axle has a spindle, and wheel bearing set in the rotor.

Not all years. Somewhere in there Jeep started using the same unit bearings as the 4WD on the 2WD XJs and MJs, with a stub axle that was flat on the back instead of having the ears for the u-joints.

If the 2WD axle is the type that uses a hub/bearing unit like the 4WDs, it will be the same as the 4WDs for that year used. Just remember that there were changes, they do NOT all interchange.

If the 2WD axle has a conventional spindle and wheel bearings -- obviously you can't replace it with a hub/bearing unit. (Nor would it make economic sense to attempt doing so.)

Not all years. Somewhere in there Jeep started using the same unit bearings as the 4WD on the 2WD XJs and MJs, with a stub axle that was flat on the back instead of having the ears for the u-joints.

That would be late 1993.

If the 2WD axle has a conventional spindle and wheel bearings -- obviously you can't replace it with a hub/bearing unit. (Nor would it make economic sense to attempt doing so.)

This true. Unfortunately. Economically, it makes more sense to go with the WJ conversion with the bigger better front disks, more bang for the buck. One of these days.......

Maybe that's why I can't find 92 2wdhubds for the new Cherokee. All stores on the internet come up with the same part number for 2wd as they do for 4wd.

I don't know nearly as much about my 94 and 96 XJs yet as I learned about the 87 MJ.

Thanks all.

A very easy solution to your problem is to find a '93+ D30 (non-disco) and swap that in, then you don't need to worry about if the '90+ unit bearing would fit, and would be setup for future 4wd :yes:

With all the axle swapping you have done, you could swap in the D30 faster than dealing with the wheel hub bearings :yes: