Throwing around ideas for my SporTruck

beepbeepmyredjeep

Hello all, I'm new to the forums (just posted pics of my SporTruck in the project section) and I'm throwing around a few ideas how to fix it up.

First step is going to be replace the rims with rims from a Cherokee.

The headliner is gone, and instead of recovering it I'm considering installing a sunroof or possibly even turning the truck into a convertible top with roll cage, similar to the Wrangler.

I'm also considering adding a rear swing-mount spare tire rack, similar to what you see on Wranglers as well.

Thoughts?

Hello all, I'm new to the forums (just posted pics of my SporTruck in the project section) and I'm throwing around a few ideas how to fix it up.

First step is going to be replace the rims with rims from a Cherokee.

The headliner is gone, and instead of recovering it I'm considering installing a sunroof or possibly even turning the truck into a convertible top with roll cage, similar to the Wrangler.

I'm also considering adding a rear swing-mount spare tire rack, similar to what you see on Wranglers as well.

Thoughts?

don't @#$% up a perfectly good comanche by trying to make it a "convertable".........in my honest opinion, thats ghey. no offence I'm just saying. a sunroof would be cool tho. I saw the other thread with the rims you want to put on there and id say to just fix up the old rims and make em look new again. nothing a little paint can't solve. ive got a 1990 sporTruck myself and i've repainted the old stock rims and they look great. theres a guy on youtube who has like 10 different videos on the comanche he made into a convertable. it looks jank......nuff said.

here's my Comanche viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21925 :clapping:

oh and here's the convertable Comanche.

:shake:

I ruined my red MJ by putting in a (factory XJ) sunroof.

I thought I'd be good to go, especially since the factory sunroofs had drip tubes inside the frame, that ran into the A-pillars, incase any water got by the seal.

I even had the factory bag, for storage when you pull the glass out.

Well, so much for that, the thing leaked ALOT (seeping between the frame & the glass).

Anything more than a light drizzle would get enough water inside to fog up the windows, the mirrors, and sometimes even my glasses. :ack:

It was cool for a while, I'd use it as my 'escape hatch' when wheeling,

was nice to be able to climb straight up & out, then onto the hood, or into the bed, when buried in mud.

Part of the problem was my own fault tho,

the spare tire on my rollbar overlapped the sunroof, so I had to move the tire to get the glass in & out.

Made for an exciting, and wet few minutes when it would suddenly downpour on the trail.

:doh:

Convertable pick ups are nice. If ya really want one use a S10, Dakota or Ranger. Leave the MJ alone. Got a couple S10's I'll trade ya for the Comanchee if you want.

:agree: :yes:

When ever I go to the P-N-P I see S10's and tons of Rangers........I've yet to find an MJ there.

If you really want to chop a top, pick something that don't start with the letter "J"

If your MJ is a total rust bucket, then fine, cut away, and use the parts to save another MJ from destruction.

As far as sun roofs, I have 3 MJ's with the sun roof, 2 are OEM, and if installed correctly, they do not leak. If your looking for a new sun roof, check This out :brows:

As far as sun roofs, I have 3 MJ's with the sun roof, 2 are OEM, and if installed correctly, they do not leak.

Mine was installed correctly, the frame was sealed, square & true, the seal just wasn't sealing anymore after 15+ years (I pulled the sunroof from an 85' XJ).

I used to joke that the sunroof made the MJ into a 'real' Jeep,

wet seats, fogged windows, and noisy on the highway. :smart:

As far as sun roofs, I have 3 MJ's with the sun roof, 2 are OEM, and if installed correctly, they do not leak.

Mine was installed correctly, the frame was sealed, square & true, the seal just wasn't sealing anymore after 15+ years (I pulled the sunroof from an 85' XJ).

Jim, I'm not pounding on you :cheers:

I didn't mean it that way, but one thing is, you "re-used" it, so that might have something to do with why it leaked on you :dunno:

I read were you ran the drain tubes, and that should have solve any leaking, but like you said, the gasket was 15 year old, and it might have just be dried out and not sealing tight.

Sorry if you took my statement wrong :oops:

Jim, I'm not pounding on you :cheers:

I didn't mean it that way, but one thing is, you "re-used" it, so that might have something to do with why it leaked on you :dunno:

I read were you ran the drain tubes, and that should have solve any leaking, but like you said, the gasket was 15 year old, and it might have just be dried out and not sealing tight.

Sorry if you took my statement wrong :oops:

:D I didn't take it personally (or as a shot).

But I did want to clarify why I thought it was leaking.

At the time I was scared to make the first cut, and amazed myself at how nicely it came out.

Well, until the first time it rained. :ack:

Why has no one pointed out the obvious safety concerns with making a ragtop mj???

Don't do it. Our rigs are semi-unibody, and hacking off the top means losing a lot of structural integrity.

This is why I was considering adding a roll-bar. I was going to actually replace the top rear part of the cab with a roll-bar, if I decided to make it a convertible top.

But after the comments here, I don't know if the risk of water damage to my near-factory-condition interior would be worth it.