New '88 SWB

Hey guys. As you can see, I'm new to this site and new to MJ's, but I'm not new to Jeeps. I have a couple XJ's but when I saw this little truck, I knew it had some hidden greatness in it. Here's the short on it...'88 SWB 2WD 4.0 BA-10 w/D35. I don't know the gearing though. Current plans, swap out the motor and insert an AX-15 and possibly an 8.8 w/3.73's. I want to DD this and make my current DD more of a trail rig. Redoing the interior and new paint on it should brighten it's day. If you have any suggestions or thoughts, please throw them out there. I am open to suggestions. Like I said, I'm new to the MJ world. :D

Here are a couple pics of it as it sits.

Here are the rest if you want to see. I have a slight floor issue and the driver side fender needs replacing but other than that, the body is fairly straight.

[/url]

I've already got a new fender for the front but I'm at a loss for the floor...

For the floor, most of the build threads here have something to show, look around, it's good reading. That's what I've been doing for two weeks straight. :yes:

However for a DD, wouldn't it be better to have longer gearing for fuel economy ? I think you'd be able to find an 8.8 diff with a 3.42 or even 3.13 final gear. Won't get you 35 mpg but they must come initially cheaper and the motor has more than enough torque to keep it peppy. Of course if you're considering hauling trailers or stuff, forget what I said !

I second CaffeineSam on the floor repair - a lot of members have had to replace the floors. There was a post a few weeks back on a few companies that sold replacement floor panels too - I am on lunch right now, so I do not have the time to find it for you right now. The MJ looks like an intimidating project with the front off and the hood open like that, but it looks like a good truck :thumbsup: . Welcome to the club and be sure to post a ton of progress pictures. :cheers: - Rich

Thanks guys. I have been reading some and found a couple of the replacement floor pan threads. I hope it won't be too hard to do. I think I will get a new panel though instead of piecing something together.

As for the gears I know the mileage will suffer but I only have an 11 mile drive to work plus I plan on using it to haul stuff with but nothing real heavy.

I'll keep the pics coming as I get the little things done.

Thanks again! :cheers:

:cheers: Welcome to the MJ madness.

Only four jeeps? :brows:

Hahaha. Thanks for the welcome. There are some awsome builds on this site. I just hope mine will turn out half as nice as some of the ones on here.

I have had a couple other jeeps over the years and even still have an '87 parts XJ. Jeeps are like a Pringle, you can't stop with just one. :rotfl2:

I was told it had the 3.07's in it, but I'm thinking of going with an 8.8 w/4.10's and running 33's. You can get 8.8's with 3.73's all day around here but the 4.10's are little harder to find. Another benefit are the disc brakes. I'm upgrading my booster/MC with one from a WJ so I should be able stop really good. At least that's my plan.

looks good mark... your making more progress on yours than i am on mine, of course ive got a stroker motor to put together for the wagoneer first then swap the old wag motor to the mj and bla bla bla..... this is tough without a garage.... course you could sell me the motor out of the trail rig and it would speed the process up ;)

looks good mark... your making more progress on yours than i am on mine, of course ive got a stroker motor to put together for the wagoneer first then swap the old wag motor to the mj and bla bla bla..... this is tough without a garage.... course you could sell me the motor out of the trail rig and it would speed the process up ;)

Thanks Doug. I didn't realize the exact shape of it when I got it. I do have some work ahead of me but it's a blast to do it so I don't mind. I have a block and crank and rods and pistons for the start of my stroker build to. I'm gonna collect all the parts then....Bam!! Gonna have a stroker in the MJ!!!

I could put the drivetrain out of the trail rig in the MJ but I really don't want to convert it to a 4x4. If I can come across it, I wouldn't mind changing to a 97+ front clip though.

I could put the drivetrain out of the trail rig in the MJ but I really don't want to convert it to a 4x4. If I can come across it, I wouldn't mind changing to a 97+ front clip though.

you just don't want to be tempted to wheel it....

Ok. So the last night I got a better fender on it and did some prep work for pulling the motor which is my next step.

It lined up very well so I guess my body work to the front where it was bent turned out ok. I know, I need to to take more and better pictures... :thumbsup:

I haven't had any time to work on it since it's not currently at my house, but I am going tomorrow and picking up some parts from Shelbyluv and also an AX-15 from a guy on NAXJA. I plan on swapping out the BA-10. :banana:

I'm getting a good header panel for it so that piece will be behind me too. I got a gasket kit for my motor thats going in and some new freeze plugs. I hope to be able to get the gaskets in and the freeze plugs in this weekend. I doubt I get the old motor out but that's ok. I want to get the new motor ready and mated up to the AX-15 and then put both in together. I've never done a swap like this before so I will be in new territory. 8)

Any suggestions on things to watch for or things NOT to do?

Thanks guys. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions on things to watch for or things NOT to do?

don't set it on fire.....

check on naxja for an ax15 swap thread... its pretty common ive never had to do one.

oh and next time you talk to tyler ask him what our idea for your mj is ;)