Valve Cover Gasket 2000 XJ

Yesterday's Danish

Why grade 8? Your only clamping down a valve cover, not the head. I'm sensitive to this as I have been trying to remove a half dozen or so remains of bolts froze in the frame after I twisted off the heads. So far I've burned up 2 drill bits and snapped off 2 ezee outs trying to remove them and they're only grade 5.

Why grade 8? Your only clamping down a valve cover, not the head. I'm sensitive to this as I have been trying to remove a half dozen or so remains of bolts froze in the frame after I twisted off the heads. So far I've burned up 2 drill bits and snapped off 2 ezee outs trying to remove them and they're only grade 5.

Wouldn't you want grade 8's so they wouldn't snap if they take some stones to get out? Properly torqued of course.

Rob L. :dunno:

Never thought about it that way. your right.

The ones I twisted were just plain rusted on. Original torque had nothing to do with it.Has anyone noticed how much easier, but not as much fun, new cars are to work on over 20-50 year old ones? :cheers:

Only other tip would be a small can of high-tack gasket sealant (I like the brush-on kind - not as messy, IMO). Holds the gasket firmly in place while you're working the valve cover back on. I don't know about the 4.0, but on my 2.5 it's very tricky to keep the back edge of the gasket in place. I also put a good coating of it on the bolt threads.

I got the valve cover off but in the process I busted one of the plastic hoses that goes into the valve cover. It's the one in the rear or the closest one to the firewall. Looks like it goes to the throttle body. It broke off at the elbow. Anyone know what part I need? More importantly how do you get that hose out of the valve cover without breaking it? Just wanna know this for next time. I got the one that goes to the air box pretty easy.

Anyway tomorrow i'm gonna clean up the valve cover real good and clean the gasket surface on the engine. Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure how relevant this is now, but I did have a VC bolt snap on me during removal once on a very oily 89 4.0.

Luckily that bolt missing didn't cause any leaks... at least not while the XJ was still in the family.