Failed California Smog

Well, it is that time of year and I failed my California smog inspection. The shop says I need to replace the charcoal canister on my fuel system which looks like this.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2549&hilit=charcoal+canister

But the only replacements I can find shows the 1991-1996 to be different and look like this.

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/parts/ ... d/793.html

As you might notice the neck of the canister of the gray one is much thicker than the black alleged 1991-1996 replacement. I can't seem to find another part number, is there something I am missing here? I know this won't apply to many folks because they aren't subject to a bunch of persnickety smog laws but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

What you need Joe is p/n 53009641 (superseded by part number 53030500). Same all 4.0 and 2.5 Jeeps 1991-1996. Here's one:

http://www.clearlyauto.com/catalog/1993/Jeep/Wrangler/4-150-2.5L/Fuel-Emission/Emission-Parts

About halfway down the page.

Here's another on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-CP3045-Canister/dp/B001DC9ZA0

What you need Joe is p/n 53009641 (superseded by part number 53030500). Same all 4.0 and 2.5 Jeeps 1991-1996. Here's one:

http://www.clearlyauto.com/catalog/1993/Jeep/Wrangler/4-150-2.5L/Fuel-Emission/Emission-Parts

About halfway down the page.

Thanks a million Don that is the one I will buy! The odd thing is, it looks exactly like the charcoal canister in the first link I gave which was out of a 1988 MJ. Was there a difference from the RENIX Jeeps and Chrysler HO Jeeps?

Different part numbers, so I ASSume they are different. Also edited my post above. :cheers:

Thanks again Don! I am would not be surpised if they were mixed up parts in as we have found in the past. For most of the other 49 states these canisters aren't an issue because they are supposed to last the life of the vehicles (except for here in CA.) :nuts:

Thanks again Don! I am would not be surpised if they were mixed up parts in as we have found in the past. For most of the other 49 states these canisters aren't an issue because they are supposed to last the life of the vehicles (except for here in CA.) :nuts:

Actually sometimes they don't last for life. Sometimes because of constantly filling your gas tank all the way to the top, fuel will flow into the canister thru the gas tank return line saturating the charcoal. There is a vacuum operated built-in purge valve that is supposed to prevent this, but the fuel will gum it up over time. This can cause excess fuel tank pressure, a gas smell in the cab, and of course high HC readings on your smog test. Most emissions systems have a separate purge valve you can replace (the ZJs do), but you have to replace the whole canister in our rigs. I replaced my canister awhile back because of the gas smell, and it took care of it.

Actually sometimes they don't last for life. Sometimes because of constantly filling your gas tank all the way to the top, fuel will flow into the canister thru the gas tank return line saturating the charcoal. There is a vacuum operated built-in purge valve that is supposed to prevent this, but the fuel will gum it up over time. This can cause excess fuel tank pressure, a gas smell in the cab, and of course high HC readings on your smog test. Most emissions systems have a separate purge valve you can replace (the ZJs do), but you have to replace the whole canister in our rigs. I replaced my canister awhile back because of the gas smell, and it took care of it.

Don,

Funny enough you have convinced me that in addition to failing the smog test that I need a new canister as whenever I fill my gas tank to the top there is a gas smell in the cab, if it wasn't for the good food out here in Vallejo Ca I would be outta here! My wife and I aren't huge fans of snow and she has arabian horses so it would be the horse country for us.

same here in gallatin. my mj has to run through "emmisions" to check my CO and my Hydrocarbons. My mj is dualled out the back but not split at the manifold. the idiots at the dmv only checked one exhaust pipe and it read like the engine was off :thumbsup: i had a 75 maverick, which meant it just barely had to go through emissions. it had one cylinder that just wouldnt burn fuel, so that thing was marked as the singular cause of global warming :shake: :rotfl2: i still need to do an egine swap on that old maverick, but who cares when i have a comanche :yes: