Mj Bastard Pack

I have two sets of springs in my parts pile one set needs new main leaves and the other is really only good for mains (the ends are bad). So I was thinking instead of just swapping out the mains, I would build some Bastard packs. Cutting off the ends of the bad mains and puting the good ones over them. Has anyone ever done this I am already SOA with 2wd packs and a little higher in the front, So i am only looking for 1-2 inches if i get any lift. Would they be too stiff?

Sorry if that was hard to read I am at work and am half asleep, LOL.

That should work just fine. Using the main leaves from a second set of springs to make AALs is very common with XJs, and typically yields about an inch and a half of lift. I did one several years ago, then drove it from Connecticut to Montana for a former girlfriend. I thought the ride was very comfortable.

Back in my autocross and road racing days I made up a set of rear springs for my Javelin by using ALL the leaves from two sets of springs. IIRC the Javelin rear springs were 3-leaf springs, so I ended up with 6 leaves on each side. I cut the tips off each leaf so the lengths were staggered to fall between the ends of the original leaves. The ride was firm but not bone-jarring. And I was running those springs with HUGE Gabriel adjustable truck shocks.

Go for it.

Did that on a '75 J20. Unfortunately didn't measure anything but it probably raised it 1/2-1" Didn't notice any difference in ride, empty or loaded, Did notice a difference in the truck sitting leveler with a load.

I'm thinking about doing this with a spare set of 2wd springs I have. Can I reuse the rebound clips? Will the original center bolt be long enough with the extra main leaf in there? If not, what size clips or bolt would I need? Thanks

found a shot of what I originally did with the retainers. I found a thinner bolt that fit in the remaining space. That was the first gen pack. In the new packs I made I just skipped the bolt altogether.