HELP PLEASE with windshield leak

HELP PLEASE My MJ recently acquired a terrible leak around the front windshield. It is obviously coming through at the chrome trim above the window. How do I get this trim off and stop the leaking?? also, How do I get my headliner off? As it is it isnt an actual headliner, just a big layer of green insulation that falls into your eyes if you touch it, and its getting moldy due to the said leak. any input is greatly appreciated. i can take pictures of the headliner and trim if need be. thank you all

Our trucks are notorious for windshield leaking.

You could tried the baby powder trick to located the source.

You have to remove your carpet, and spread the powder on the floor.

The water will remove the powder.

To remove the headliner, you have to remove the pillar and door molding.

The headliner have 1 steel bracket each side and 2 velcro near the windshield.

Be careful, it is easy to break.

Good luck

You need to take off the A pillar and B pillar trim to get at the headliner. Also have to take off the visors and the little visor clips. Then gently pull on the headliner. It should come right off.

Which ones A and which ones B? :huh???: the things i pointed at in the pictures?

Yep. A pillar starts at the windshield and runs up above the door. B pillar is where your interior lights are. You'll have to do driver and passenger side.

A pillar trim has a couple screws that are covered with round caps. Just pop the caps off with a pick tool and you'll see the phillips head screws underneath. On the passenger side you'll have to take off the oh poopie handle that's attached. I think it uses torx screws if I remember correctly.

With the B pillar trim you'll have to unbolt the top part of the seatbelts from the frame. I think they use t-47 or t-45 bolts. Having a torx socket will help because they're torqued down pretty tight. You'll also have to pop out the interior light and disconnect it from the harness. Finally, the B pillar trim is attached the back wall with, I think, 8 mm nuts. After all that is off the trim should just pop right off.

worked on it for about an hour :D ended up getting the driver side totally loose and started work on the passenger side when i broke one of the wingsfrom the oh crap handle :fs1: I'm gluing it back together, but hopefully gambit can ship me one if he still has it. I'm covered in insulation from that piece of crap headliner but it will be worth it tommorrow. should i post all the pics here or make a do it yourself on it? ive been taking pictures the whole time and hopefully will be able to offer a good dyi on it.

everything is done :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: It took me from 9 to 4 today but it was worth it. I didnt even take pics of what i did to the windsheild haha but it was just a simple silicone job :D the big deal was me replacing my headliner :D :D it took alot of work but looks sooooo much better :banana: :thumbsup: i have alot of good pictures and I'm able to do a write up of it. should i post it in do it yourself or should i just post it all here?

OK, here's the build. let me know if you need anymore info after this :thumbsup:

First off, the tools: torx sockets, screwdrivers (all sizes, a little nubby one is a necesity, and a ratching one helps) ratchets, and extensions. Oh and a used mcdonalds cup to keep all your parts in :yes:

First take off the A pillars (i believe thats what their called?). you need a philips head and some expert fenangling to get this off. don't try to actually pull the whole thing off, just get the top all loose (two philips screws by the windshield and two pop outs above the door) and let it hang out of the way. the passenger side is less fenangling but has an oh crap handle in the way and no pup outs above the door, the oh crap handle holds it on.

To take the oh crap handle off GENTLY (and i mean it this time :thumbsup: ) pull the wings off and let them hang. don't just pull the wing off as it will break into two pieces and you will have to glue it together... not that i did that or anything... :fs1: :wall: then use a small torx to get it out

Then get your visors off. The driver side one comes right off as does the middle piece that holds them both in in the middle. the passenger side one (atleast my passenger side one) had a vanity mirror and thus wiring issues.

To get the passenger side one off get behind the A pillar and find the plugs:

Then unplug them and pull the wires on out:

You may want to go ahead and take the rearview off too. its just one philips screw

Next you want to start on the back B pillars. The first step is to get the seat belts off. use a torx and a ratchet to get them off. they are pretty stout so be prepared to use some elbow grease. BE CAREFULL! the ratchet will want to hit your back glass like in the picture. I didnt break mine but realized i could have.

To get the b pillar pannel off you will need to take off the back pannel. its just alot of pop outs. be gentle and pry them on out. there are also clips holding the carpeted section to it. it can bow in the middle and let you just pull right on out of the sides, unless you have a center console :dunno: ive never had one :(

once it gets all loose it still won't come all the way out, so just set it behind the seats. oh and the dome lights just unplug, no problems there.

Once these pillars are off on both sides you have one more thing holding you from pulling out the headliner, the little metal clips above the doors. they do come off. if you feel up behind them there is a clip holding them on. slip a flathead screwdriver up behind it and make a gap then the clip will come out. i didnt know this so i just bent them. worked fine they just bent right back :banana:

once those come out the headliner wil basically fall out on your head. there is velcro holding them on, but by now the headlienr had come apart at the velcro and the velcro stayed on the ceiling instead of with the headliner.

find rat nets in your headliner, thats an important step :ack:

oh and this thing. looks factory :dunno: anybody know what it is?

work the headliner out of the cab (no problem)

I had to dry the moldy spot on my headliner up, so i used this baby

the heat gun also came in great handy for the velcro problem. I just used the gun to remelt the old glue and stick the velcro to it. worked great :thumbsup:

now you need material to make a headliner. I had this GORGOUS :ack: naugahide laying around from before i was born. I'm broke, its good stuff, so i decided to use it. I figured itd be ok if the inside of my truck looked like maddona designed it :banana:

But i got some naugahide dye at O'reileys and turned awefull silver into grey :yes: :yes: so i turned that into this:

With these:

It is a frantic situation to get the cloth on the headliner so i couldnt take in progress pictures, but i can explain well enough. Spray the super 77 on the cloth and the headliner.only do about half of it at a time so you can manage it all. make sure you spray BOTH of them. let them sit for about a minute (until both of them feel tacky). then start from the middle of the headliner and smoothe out it to the edges from the middle out. once you get to the corners you may need to cut them a little but thats no problem. repeat that until the headliner is on. I ironed my naugahide before i put it on the headliner, but it had been folded for 20 years, so if you don't need to iron it, don't. as for the dye , its just like painting metal, only on naugahide. paint the naugahide after you put it on the headliner, otherwise you may mess up the finish.

then just reinstall it. for directions on that, just scroll back up, and turn everything right instead of left :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Mine ended up looking like this:

I'm very satisfied :yes: :yes: :D :D jamminz.gifjamminz.gif :brows: :brows: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :banana: :banana: :banana: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotf: :rotf: oh and the final step is spray ten gallons of febreez in your truck to get the glue smell out :thumbsup: if you have any questions at all i'll be glad to help :thumbsup: oh and i don't know how to alter the name of a thread or move it or anything, so if one of the admins wants to put this in dyi and change the name :???: haha if not i'll just copy and paste all this crap again into a new thread :shake: