death wobble time line?

I found out from you guys a couple of weeks ago the noise in my front end was the track bar.I'm not trying to push it, but how fast does this usually turn into death wobble? Is it still safe to drive with just an occasional clunk? And if death wobble comes, will it be cured by replacing the bar? Thanks, Jim

I found out from you guys a couple of weeks ago the noise in my front end was the track bar.I'm not trying to push it, but how fast does this usually turn into death wobble? Is it still safe to drive with just an occasional clunk? And if death wobble comes, will it be cured by replacing the bar? Thanks, Jim

Death wobble is not caused by a worn track bar. Death wobble is caused by something causing one tire to shake badly (usually tire imbalance) and then that shake gets transmitted to the opposite front wheel. If the opposite front wheel is also marginal in balance, it picks up the shake as a harmonic, and from there the two "feed" on each other in an escalating cycle.

I drove my '88 XJ for an entire winter with a track bar so loose I had a full quarter of a turn at the steering wheel that did nothing before I could start changing direction. (Not recommended, but it was a cold, snowy winter and I didn't have any place to change it out that wasn't cold and covered with snow.) I had no death wobble.

Eagle, thank you for the info! I'm not trying to put this off indefinately, just trying to get m convertible back on the road after a year and a half in the garage. The track bar will be the next project, I just need the truck to get to work. Thanx again. :cheers:

the track bar should be replaced asap, not because of DW worries, but because if it breaks, you kinda lose your steering. and the smacking back and forth can cause extra stress on the frame which can crack at the point between the steering box and track bar.

:cheers: