questions about engines

i'm new to this site and i just recently got a comanche. its an 86. 2.8l. 5 speed. 4x4. i locked the engine up about a week ago. and its my only way of getting around. so i'm not sure what to do. i was told a 3.4 or 3.1 could bolt in exactly. but i'm a little short on cash so i'm not sure what to do. any suggestions anyone?

The 2.8 liter Jeep engine is a GM engine. Jeep bought them from Generous Motors. The GM 3.1L and 3.4L V6s are built on the same block, so they are almost bolt-in replacements ... and much better engines. You will have to use the Jeep manifolds and accessory brackets. And the 2.8L is externally balanced, which means there's an eccentric heavy spot on the flywheel. By the time GM developed the 3.1L and 3.4L they had figured out how to balance the engines internally, so you'll need to have the flywheel "neutral balanced."

Early 90s v6 Camaro/firebird or S-10 should have the 3.4/3.1 in it.

You'll need to add in a small electric fuel pump, as the later engines do not have a boss for the mechanical unit. It's just a carb though, so you don't need a high pressure pump (like for EFI).