Help! Wheel U joint issues

Alright, so I went to a local auto parts store and picked up a couple wheel u joints for my truck. They gave me a NEAPCO 1-0174 but it didn't quite fit right, regardless, i broke the u joint putting it in and slightly bent the yoke. Called up competing auto parts store and they said the proper part number for these is NEAPCO 1-0297. The problem is, the bearing caps seemed to be the right size and the center cross was too big, but on the 1-0297 the bearing cap is bigger. Any idea what my issue may be? Factory D30 w/vacuum disco in the front, lemme know if you need more info.

A couple different ujoints were used in the 30, yours takes the 297x joint. the other joint was probably for a newer 30 with the 760x joint

The 297 and 760 were interchangeable, the 260 is the smaller size that he would need if its a stock axle. They didn't switch to the 297 size in XJ's until 96. However, most ABS equipped D30's did get the 297 sized shafts regardless of year I believe.

They gave me the rght joint the first time, but it was defective. It had a burr on the cross that prevented a cap from going on all the way. Thanks for the help. It was the neapco 10174 in case anyone goes through this in the future, which is the smaller one.