4 wheel drive issue

So i was out in the snow today, and my 4wd kept popping in and out, the roads were all snow so it wasnt binding on pavement and it only seemed to happen at steady speeds. i was only doing about 25-30. i could feel and hear it jumping in and out and the 4x4 light would turn on and off with the system. 4.0, np231, ba/10, d30/35. vacuum issue?

Erik

Most likely vacuum problems. The transfer case shifts into 4WD by the lever. The front axle disconnect shifts by vacuum. The indicator light is also controlled by vacuum, I believe by a switch on the firewall where the vacuum harness feeds down to the axle. If the light goes off and on, your vacuum is intermittent.

Most likely vacuum problems. The transfer case shifts into 4WD by the lever. The front axle disconnect shifts by vacuum. The indicator light is also controlled by vacuum, I believe by a switch on the firewall where the vacuum harness feeds down to the axle. If the light goes off and on, your vacuum is intermittent.

So thats where i should start then? got a pic of the switch? this will be my first time working on this system. thanks! :bowdown:

Erik

There are three lines going to the CAD. One to lock it in, one to unlock it, and one to go to the switch to turn the light on. If the axle is unlocking AND the light is going off, the vacuum problem is before the CAD because the light goes off BECAUSE the axle disconnects. Vacuum is controlled by the transfer case, but the problem could also be in the vacuum feed to the transfer case.