Can someone help me ? Suspension content

Sorry for starting another post, but I need some help. Installing a lift on my 87. Does the part pictured need to be removed & if so how the heck does it come off. Only 2 reasons I ask is because in the directions there is a picture where it is missing, & 2, if it doesn't come off, I'm going to have one heck of a time installing spacers & springs as they (spacers) will not go over the collar of pictured bump stops. BTW, this is a rocky road 6" lift. Thanks in advance for the help.

You would think the directions would be more specific, not making it necessary to have to post a question like that. What I am wondering is, is it necessary to remove it in order to install the lifts?

Like I said, if your installing spacers than YES. If just a taller spring, no.

Guess thats just the difference between makers, some are more "complete" than others.. :dunno:

CW

I think depending what spacers you use as well, determines if you need to remove that or not. I've used spacers on cherokees, and maybe the flare isnt as big on them as comanches...but theyve always slid right over that. Its actually your bumpstop. If your gonna be wheeling and flexing a lot, some companies make extensions of those so you can still have proper bumpstop without flexing up into your fender and damaging your fender and or tire!

Oh yeah. Whats a stillson wrench? I've never heard that term.

I love google. I know it as a pipe wrench.

How about "Monkey wrench"?

I think its kinda where you grew up kinda thing.. Like a Hoagie, Submarine sandwich or Grinder thing.. ALL the same with different names..

CW

I think its kinda where you grew up kinda thing.. Like a Hoagie, Submarine sandwich or Grinder thing.. ALL the same with different names..

CW

So true. I do like stillson the best. sounds more professional. Anyways, They came right off. About the only thing that has come right off w/out a little heat. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

CW

So true. I do like stillson the best. sounds more professional. Anyways, They came right off. About the only thing that has come right off w/out a little heat. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Happy to help a MJ owner brother!! image_209027.gif

CW

Calling CWLongShot. What the hell is the trick to getting the front springs in??? I removed the lower control arm bolts and got the springs in. Then when I tried to line it up to replace bolts. I couldn't get it positioned right. It kept fighting me till it was so bound up I had to remove the springs. The guy who I spoke to on the phone when ordering told me stock control arms would work, but I have a feeling he had no idea what he was talking about. Once again, 6" lift. 2" spacers & old man emu springs. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

There is no way in hell stock arms will work with 6"+.

Yup. It was pretty obvious while trying to put them in. If they had fit, the front top of the lower control arm would of been rubbing on the perch. Thanks for the info. Time to empty the piggy bank. Any advice on new ones???

You're going to need adjustable uppers and lowers, but it might do you good to research longarm kits as well.

You're also going to need longer shocks, sway bar links, trackbar, brake hoses... 6 inch lifts are not meant to be done cheaply.