Adding cruise to a 99 XJ

Geonovast

A friend of mine is getting a 99 XJ without cruise, and she'd like to add it. I personally used this kit http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-CCS100-U ... B00029WQTW a few years ago to add cruise to my 91 2.5 (At that time I didn't know how ridiculously easy the 91-96 factory cruise systems were to install), but I'm curious on your thoughts on what the best options would be. Would getting a factory setup be easier? I can't remember if the 97+ cruise is on the steering wheel or not.

the cruise system on a '99 xj is just like it was on your blue truck when I hooked it in. it's plug and play...get the motor/servo, with the vacuum line for it, and get the controls. IIRC the controls are thumb controls on the steering wheel.

I'll grab you a conversion for it this coming weekend @ LKQ. it's an easier setup.

Ok, sweet. Lemme know how much it is and I'll let her know.

correy, LKQ will likely throw it in with the lot of everything else I'm buying

and I confirmed that the on/off controls are on left side (thumb operated) and the set/acc/coast buttons are on the right side. the wiring and everything should be all right there...after 97 any option is literally bolt-in.

I seriously doubt that the clocking spring is different. there would be no point in that being a different part between cruise and non-cruise.

I agree there is no point in a cruise and non-cruise version but in chrysler's infinite wisdom they made 2 different clock springs. Hell the 97-98 xjs and tjs you had to replace the entire steering wheel to add factory cruise.

I seriously doubt that the clocking spring is different. there would be no point in that being a different part between cruise and non-cruise.

The clocksprings are different. Trust me, I've replaced dozens of them.

Also, the 97/98 buttons use different resistance than the 99-01. If you want to install cruise in a 99 you need 99-01 buttons.

All actuators/servos are the same electrically, but the plug changed in 97. You can use a acuator from a 92 for example, if you splice in the correct plug to your 97+ wiring, the number of wires, order and the color is the same, so it should be easy if you cannot grab a newer one.

The clocksprings are different. Trust me, I've replaced dozens of them.

Also, the 97/98 buttons use different resistance than the 99-01. If you want to install cruise in a 99 you need 99-01 buttons.

All actuators/servos are the same electrically, but the plug changed in 97. You can use a acuator from a 92 for example, if you splice in the correct plug to your 97+ wiring, the number of wires, order and the color is the same, so it should be easy if you cannot grab a newer one.

my idea of "easy" does not include replacing a clockspring. I can do it, but I don't enjoy it.