89 clutch line

Hey guys, on my 89 MJ 4.0L with the BA-5/10 my main clutch hydraulic line rubbed the exhaust manifold and thus has a hole. I've learnt from my local jeep dealer that while they don't have the part set that I need for a new one, I ought to be able to patch it as they say its fairly low pressure. I've been told to remove it, take it to a hydraulics shop and see if they can patch or replace a section of it. I'm hoping to preserve the original attachments and take off the rubber hose in one piece, which is all I need and avoid having to pay the 200 bucks for the line + master/slave lines. I was curious if anyone knows of any clever tricks for removing the line without damaging the attachments.

use a good set of flarenut wrenches......

spray down the threads at both ends with a good penetrant (Kroil, PB Blaster, etc. not WD-40) beforehand and give it time to wick into the threads

drink beer after removing, not before

:cheers:

Jeff

(welcome to CC, too......)

thanks. I've got a friend who does a lot on jeeps and will work for beer, so I'm gonna get him to give me a hand so I should be able to do it. Thanks for the help, and if this works you should see me around a bit more often. Also, best place to find dirt cheap ax15s? cherokees at the wrecker?

yeah the best place to find an AX15 is at the junkyard. they're listed on ebay all day long but theyre all rebuilt and 8-900$$

plus don't go for one out of a wrangler (YJ or TJ) because the t-case holes are clocked differently and it may require drop-kit or floor "modifications" to fit the transfer case. (so i guess if its 2wd and you don't want 4wd it doesn't matter)

update!

So I finally got under it and it turns out that when the previous owner swapped out the engine they put in an ax15. So I'm going to order the line including the tubes on either end and stick it in. this actually explains why it was the line was put back improperly

Oreilly auto parts has a brand new line for the comanche /cherokee.They looked it up and it was replaced by another number so don't let them tell you they don't have it

Part Number is BH411830

The original part number was $18.99 the new part number part is 49.99,they sold it to me for the original part number price of 18.99!!!

Good luck