2001 Cherokee

This isn't an MJ but with all the smarts here maybe someone might know. 2001 XJ got rolled, Realy totaled the sucker out. 4.0 auto, not sure of model. just that it's Chrysler. 4WD. After peeling metal away from the motor and drivers seat tried to start it. Nogo.All checks on everything under hood checks good.By running a wire direct from battery Pos to fuel pump it starts and runs. Trouble shooting hints suggest there is a emergency shut off switch which activates in case of accident and must be reset. Book says there is no emergency shut off sw. It's no biggy cause I'm parting it out but I just want to know what's going on. Any ideas? Jim

:help: :dunno:

Bypassed the relay. Ran the hot wire to the pin on the relay socket going to the pump. Nuthin.Broken wire very possible. Go out tomorrow and give it a good look.

Which relay did you bypass? The fuel pump relay or the ASD (auto shutdown) relay? Both have to be latched for starting. When starting the engine the ASD relay latches and looks for the distributor to spin. If not, the ASD relay trips and cuts power to the + coil and the fuel pump. You can test the ASD relay by running +12V from the battery directly to the coil pos terminal. This will also backfeed 12V to the fuel pump through the ASD circuit. If the pump runs, the ASD relay is bad. If not, the pump itself, fuel pump relay, or the wiring is fubar.

I know the fuel pump relay is good because I swapped it with another one. I know the fuel pump is good because it runs when I hot wire it direct. The ASD I don't know. Never heard of it. If it wasn't so cold , and dark out I'd go try it now. Just gonna have to wait till morn. But it certainly sounds plausible. Thanx Don.

Might be tough, the '01 has no distributor, it's a coil-on-plug setup. Also just a note, there is a fuel pump shutoff in the 00's and 01's. Found out the hard way after an accident in my '00.

Crap - Ibby is correct. Missed the 01. :doh: But keep this in mind on a non-starting condition for the 99 and below models. The ASD relay for these models (91-99) is in the PDC. Happened to me and was hard to find. :cheers:

I think the '01 still uses a ballast resistor, too, and that probably got broken in the crash.

I thought those were gone in 97?

Even if it does have it, wouldn't it start up for a few seconds, then die? That's what my first XJ(88) did when the resistor went out.

I think the '01 still uses a ballast resistor, too, and that probably got broken in the crash.

I thought those were gone in 97?

Even if it does have it, wouldn't it start up for a few seconds, then die? That's what my first XJ(88) did when the resistor went out.

Ya know, I have two 2000 XJs (one for me, one for my wife) and I never even looked at/for the ballast resistor. I just assumed they would have it.