91 4.0 install / fluid leak question...

Well...I got the new motor set in the engine bay. I never removed the trans during the install. I got the two bottom trans to block bolts snugged up, but I'm wondering whats the easiest way to get the top two in??? do I need to lower the trans??

Also. Right after I got the trans bolted to the engine, I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking from the bellhousing. It leaked very slow for a day....then stopped. :hmm: clutch pedal is still firm...

Any ideas??

You mean the top two torx bolts? Throw them out!! They're easily replaced by regular hex head bolts, and can be easily snugged up with a wrench from the engine bay.

As for the fluid leak, You may have simply pushed some excess fluid out of a seal in your internal slave when you reinstalled the motor. When the motor was removed, the slave was able to extend out further than normal, and when you put it back in, the fluid wouldn't have had anywhere to go without the pedal pushed down.. just a guess.

It may be fine, but it may cause you problems down the road. I would start looking for an external slave setup now, so you can swap it in when you have time/need to.

did you check the little clutch fluid reservoir? like the other guy(sorry can't remember your name ) said probably just extended the slave cylinder out during install. I would wipe it all down and drive it around some then re check it. check the reservoir too.

You mean the top two torx bolts? Throw them out!! They're easily replaced by regular hex head bolts, and can be easily snugged up with a wrench from the engine bay.

As for the fluid leak, You may have simply pushed some excess fluid out of a seal in your internal slave when you reinstalled the motor. When the motor was removed, the slave was able to extend out further than normal, and when you put it back in, the fluid wouldn't have had anywhere to go without the pedal pushed down.. just a guess.

It may be fine, but it may cause you problems down the road. I would start looking for an external slave setup now, so you can swap it in when you have time/need to.

I tossed the inverted torx!!!! got hex heads...There seems to be no obvious way to get them in with the engine in its current position....the bolts get caught and I have no room to manuver...I'll find a way somehow...

did you check the little clutch fluid reservoir? like the other guy(sorry can't remember your name ) said probably just extended the slave cylinder out during install. I would wipe it all down and drive it around some then re check it. check the reservoir too.

Yes I checked the reservoir and filled...no more leaks...will see how it goes once the truck is driving....

For the upper bolts I replaced them with studs. They go from a detriment to an aide with aligning and installing the trans. :thumbsup:

Thats brilliant ;) ....Will def do that next time I have to deal with removing the trans from a cherokee with a 4.0..

If I remove the crossmember to lower the trans a little for more access to tighten the bolts, what do I need to disconnect? Xfer case linkage? I don't think I'll be dropping it much...just enough to get an extension and socket in there...

Thanks guys

Usually I raise the engine up, remove the motor mounts, then let the engine back down. Usually get enough clearance to get them in, and out. Never thought about studs.But sure gonna next time. Then there's always the old standby. Remove the floormats and cut two holes in the floorboard.

If you're only dropping it about an inch, you'll just have to disconnect the crossmember itself. BE CAREFUL. Those bolts love to break.

Will do.

Usually I raise the engine up, remove the motor mounts, then let the engine back down. Usually get enough clearance to get them in, and out. Never thought about studs.But sure gonna next time. Then there's always the old standby. Remove the floormats and cut two holes in the floorboard.

:thumbsup: old standby haha.

Will dropping the trans a little give me about the same clearance as I would get if I removed the motor mounts and jacked it up?

Maybe...

But it'll probably be easier to grab a ton of extensions, at least one wobble extension, and crank on it from behind the T-case.

That's how I had to get my (&^$ing torx ones out. Had a friend of mine hold a wrench against the extensions so the wobble didn't make it collapse when I torqued it... but you shouldn't have that problem tightening hex bolts.

Maybe...

But it'll probably be easier to grab a ton of extensions, at least one wobble extension, and crank on it from behind the T-case.

That's how I had to get my (&^$ing torx ones out. Had a friend of mine hold a wrench against the extensions so the wobble didn't make it collapse when I torqued it... but you shouldn't have that problem tightening hex bolts.

Yup... :agree: I'll try that first...I'll get to wrenching on the MJ again tomorrow and see what happens!!

Thanks!!