Manual to Automatic

Hi guys. I'm curious about how much work I'm in for if I decide to put the AW4 from my XJ into an MJ that currently has an AX15. I'd also put in my 242 transfer case and 4:10 axles since the MJ is 2wd.

Basically, I want to turn a 2wd manual MJ into a 4wd Auto MJ and I happen to have all the parts.

I've swapped axle assemblies and transfer cases before, so that seems pretty simple. I haven't tried changing the transmission, though. I imagine I would have to make sure the holes in the floor fit the new tranny and transfer case. Then bolt in the new tranny, change the computer and wiring. Remove the clutch pedal. I'm not sure what else. I'm just guessing.

Sounds like a full weekend with a couple of helpers. Does that sound about right? Is there something horrible I'm missing? I'm kindof in a hurry, cause there's a couple of nice manual commaches in town and I'm tempted to buy one tomorrow. Thanks.

the AW4 TCU will be under the dash in the XJ, on the passenger side.

If you want it to shift like and auto you'll have to grab it and the harness that goes with it. Check in your MJ, seems to be hit or miss as to whether or not the harness is already there. it should plug into the main chassis harness, and into the trans.

You'll need the auto TPS, it feeds a seperate signal to the TCU.

You might also need the ECU I'm not sure about that.

If you want to put in an AW4 and have it shifted manually it's a pretty easy swap.

http://stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm

Something to look at. if you pony up the cash for brettm's shifter than you can run the trans without chaning any of the wiring in the MJ, you'll just need the XJ shift lever, and it will pop into your center console.

You'll need the T-case lever too, so you might as well just pull the XJ center console.

Thanks for the info, guys. Just what I needed.

I didn't buy one today, but I looked at two. I think I like the longbeds now. I haul a lot of lumber and dirt and I think I can use the extra space. I figure lifting it 6 inches and building a new rear bumper will solve the approach angle problem.

actually going from standard to auto is easy. going the other way is the pain part. My buddy just went form stick to auto and actually used the clutch pedal as an extra rear brake control. i've seen a couple of guys do this now, I don't know what is needed that to happen but its cool for a rig. but the computer for the auto will be needed. I want to say stu olsen i think is his name did it to his tj and u could pick up a few things from his write up on it. I'll see if i can come across it.

...the clutch pedal as an extra rear brake control.

My G*d, I'd be locking up the rear all the time. SLAM! EEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRTTTT!

I have enough trouble switching to my wifes auto XJ and catching the corner of the brake pedal with my left foot as I'm cramming down as if were a stick.

...the clutch pedal as an extra rear brake control.

My G*d, I'd be locking up the rear all the time. SLAM! EEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRTTTT!

I have enough trouble switching to my wifes auto XJ and catching the corner of the brake pedal with my left foot as I'm cramming down as if were a stick.

He has a sticker on his steering wheeling that warns you. and its loose enough that if you press it you won't slamm to a hault but you'll feel it braking. unless you do press it all the way down. But hes so used to it and last time i drove it i tested it out and its freaking sweet setup.