Hi new to the forum, just bought a 91 comanche w/ no motor

Just bought a 91 comanche, pretty much the bare bones, no axles, no bed, no motor. Going to build it from the ground up, from mostly junkyard parts hopefully. The deal is I need to know what jeep I can get a motor from? The MJ had a 4.0/ax-15 combo. I've searched and apparently '91 was the oddball year, does that mean the only motors that will fit are '91 motors? would a motor from an auto XJ/ZJ work? Thanks -Sebastian

Actually, your good, '91 is the first year for the HO's. Find yourself a '91 to '95 Cherokee & you'll be set.

It does need to be an XJ though, i haven't heard of anyone transplanting a ZJ engine. Not that it couldn't be done.

As far as auto's i think you may have to change the wiring, but there are others one here better equipped to answer that one...

BTW,

Welcome to the club... :cheers:

91 was an oddball year for some things... but not too much of consequence. The biggest thing I've noticed is 91 has its own CPS. It's the first year of the HO CPS, but it has a different plug than 92-95.

Do you specifically want an auto?

thanks for the quick replies. I've always wanted a comanche, and building this one is gonna be a challenge. I don't have a transmission preference, aw4 or ax-15 are both great. Whichever is easier, the comanche still has the ax-15/np242 with 240xxx miles. I have only been able to find automatic XJ's. If installing the whole xj motor and aw4 together is easier then I'd do that. If an auto XJ motor will work with the ax-15 I could do that too. Lots of possibilities really, looking for guidance

it has all the wiring, everything is there the cylinder head is gone, the block is cracked

I don't think I am sure enough of my answers to give you guidance, but what I can say is that YOUR GOLDEN!!!! The bay is open for clean-up, the engine has to be out in the air before putting it in which is the perfect time for any work you might want to look at. The under neath stuff is going to be a whole lot easier when you don't have axles and stuff in the way. Plus adding a bed later makes it super easy to undercoat!!! :D :D :D

Scott

If it already has a transmission... then why would you switch to auto? Yes, its generally easier to put a motor and transmission in together.. but not when it already has a transmission in it.

If you get a motor from an automatic donor, you'll simply need to get the correct flywheel, clutch stuff, and pilot bushing. Converting to an automatic is a considerable amount of work.

I'm right there with you, I got this one for 300 bones, most of the things that are missing are readily available at junkyards except for the bed, might go with a flatbed. but I really like the way those canvas tops look on comanches so maybe I'll have to find a bed. I'm trying to address the drivetrain first bc being in the service I can't really have a frame with a cab in the barracks parking lot :no: :redX: :cheers:

If it already has a transmission... then why would you switch to auto? Yes, its generally easier to put a motor and transmission in together.. but not when it already has a transmission in it.

If you get a motor from an automatic donor, you'll simply need to get the correct flywheel, clutch stuff, and pilot bushing. Converting to an automatic is a considerable amount of work.

The MJ should already have the right flywheel clutch stuff in it right?

After researching for hours I'm beginning to think the best bet would be to find a used ax-15 with the external slave cylinder and mate that to a '91 4.0, or a 92-95 motor splicing the cps? thanks for your help

I thought you said it had no motor? Unless they left that stuff sitting on the tranny input shaft, or threw it in the truck, you wouldn't have it. All that bolts to the motor itself.

You don't need to splice the CPS. 91-95 use the same sensor, 91 just has a different plug. Buy a CPS for a 91, and you'll be fine.

Also, you wouldn't need to buy any entire AX-15 with the external setup. You just need the bellhousing, slave cylinder, bearing retainer, throwout plate and throwout bearing.

It has a cracked block sitting in there still mated to the trans, cylinder head gone, I called it no motor bc haha well yeah... the ax-15 thats in there must need a rebuild, the guy i bought it from said he bought it for the tires it had on it, he drove it around the farm, he said for sure 1st and 2nd worked. It would really suck to mate a motor to it and the trans be crap...

I'm gonna try my best to build this thing right the first time,

4.0/aw4 combo is out of the question then?(extensive needsless work)

options if I'm correct

'91-'95 4.0 motor mated to an ax-15 or nv3550

how different are the '96-'99 motors?

Just because the motor's shot doesn't mean the trans needs a rebuild. AX-15 is a very strong transmission.

I would pull the motor and transmission out together, toss the motor, and you should be able to inspect the transmission with it out of the vehicle. Again, it's probably fine.

Yes, you'll have all the stuff you need then. I would assume the CPS is still attached to the transmission, so you'll be good to go with that then.

AW-4 swap is certainly possible, but only really worth it if you REALLY want an automatic. Not to mention you will have 3.07 geared axles, and 4.0/ autos came with 3.55s. 3.07s dog enough with a stick, it'd be even worse with an auto.

Since you have the flywheel and all the clutch stuff, you don't need to specify which transmission your donor motor comes from. The motors themselves are the same, the differences are in the flywheel/flexplate, and the manuals have a pilot bushing for the tranny input shaft.

96 was just a funky year, so it's usually not suggested. It may dump right it.. in may not.

There were some differences in the 97-01 motors. They have different sensors, I've been told the distributors are different, and 00-01 has distributorless ignition. It's possible to put any of those motors in, but your least amount of work is going to come from a 91-95.

Alright, I'm beginning to see the compatibility of the motors clearer, This MJ has no axles though I'll get some pics soon, not even 3.07's. I'm gonna try to find a HP d30 with 4.10:1 gears from a 4 cyl XJ and a 8.8 with matching gears. Thanks for the help so far, I'll have more questions as I build it

I'm in eastern NC

Alright, I'm beginning to see the compatibility of the motors clearer, This MJ has no axles though I'll get some pics soon, not even 3.07's. I'm gonna try to find a HP d30 with 4.10:1 gears from a 4 cyl XJ and a 8.8 with matching gears. Thanks for the help so far, I'll have more questions as I build it

I'm in eastern NC

You down in Ft Bragg? If so, this guy at this craigslist link use to have a comanche he was parting. Don't see it now but he still may have it. It had an engine fire but the bed was ok.

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/pts/1536945171.html

Far as the options, your best bet IMO is to find a good donor XJ and just swap everything over.

Curious, you said it had a AX-15/np242 tcase. Unless it has been swapped, the tcase should be a np231.