OEM Skid Plate Interchange

OK... I'm still on the hunt for OEM Skids for my my MJ...

Can someone help me fill out the Stock Skid Interchange between a Comanche (SWB/LWB) and Cherokee, for final use on a MJ... I know the SWB and LWB Comanche Gas Tank Skids are different but didnt' know what else would work with what.

Engine Skid

2.5/4.0L use same Skid, Cherokee/Comanche?

Tranny Skid

Auto/Manual, Cherokee/Comanche?

Gas Tank Skid

SWB Comanche

LWB Comanche

No Interchange with Cherokee?

Engine Skid

2.5/4.0L use same Skid, Cherokee/Comanche?

All the same, XJ and MJ, both engines. But it's not really an "engine" skid -- it's more to protect the steering linkage. The skid plate ends about where the oil pan starts.

Tranny Skid

Auto/Manual, Cherokee/Comanche?

Not a tranny skid, it's a transfer case skid. They are the same for the XJ and MJ. I believe the skid for the 242 transfer case hangs a bit lower than the one for the 231, because the 242 is bigger. I'm running a skid from a 242-equipped XJ on my '88 XJ and it seems to be perfectly fine. If you have a 231 transfer case, grab any one you can get.

Gas Tank Skid

SWB Comanche

LWB Comanche

No Interchange with Cherokee?

No interchange anywhere. XJ gas tanks (and skids) are totally different from the MJ.

Got a T-Case Skid today... just taking a quick look, there is no holes in the frame where that side of the skid should mount... I didn't read the link on the last post, but I assume that's to be expected?

Sw2

No, the hole should be there, but you'll probably need to put a thread-sert in it for the bolt.

Got a T-Case Skid today... just taking a quick look, there is no holes in the frame where that side of the skid should mount... I didn't read the link on the last post, but I assume that's to be expected?

Sw2

No, the hole should be there, but you'll probably need to put a thread-sert in it for the bolt.

It was dark and cold (by CA Standards), and I really wanted to go watch my Huskers play their bowl game, so I could have just missed it... I'll look again during the day in the next day or two... is the "thread-sert" something easily found at my local auto parts places?

I've not seen nutserts at any local places (i.e. Lowe's, Home Despot, etc.), but I do know that Fastenal sells them.

FWIW, you could use a self-tapping bolt into the hole in the framerail....the nutsert is just a bit more sturdy.

Jeff

On my 87 the hole was there. I didn't use nutserts, but just a 1/4x3/4 bolt, 2 washers and a nylon stop nut in each hole.

I believe all the transfer case skids are the same. I just barely clears the 242, but clears a 231 by like 3" or so.