My Daily driver/project picker-upper

Hi all, I'm new around here, not new to jeeps or XJ platforms, this is my 11th jeep and one of 3 that I currently own. I have been around the block just never put much effort into the MJ. I have owned the jeep for a few years and used it as a parts runner for a business I was apart of and now that I'm not decided to build it to be a daily driver.

My Suburban '90 model V1500 4wd is pulling down 13.5 on the highway,but in town it is maybe getting 8.. :shock: so I am putting this together to meet my daily driver/beater needs.

Specs;

1989 Jeep Comanche

224,xxx on the clock

2.5L 4cyl

2wd AX-4 (yep 4spd Manual)

D35-3.55 gears

good A/C

no P/S from factory

broken exhaust

bologna skin tires

short bed, relatively rust free.

worn out interior (previous owner was a very large man)

Hopes: Dependable daily driver getting at least 18mpg and doing it a little different than an old ranger/s10/toyota.

-Re-do interior from XJ donor parts

-4.0L throttle body upgrade

-new wheels and tires

-add powersteering

-add toolbox

-build a different rear bumper

-re-paint clean up

-fix all vacum harness junk

-swap over to full gauge cluster get away from idiot lights

-fix exhaust

-add-a-leafs

-shocks

-address electrical issues (although small need to be cleaned up)

Wishes: 4wd conversion doing so would probably include the 4.0/Aw-4 I have on the floor from the XJ

-nice paint job

here's what I got

so today 12/24 I got some time to work on it

Checklist:

-wheels and tires-done

-exhaust-semi complete-would like a different muffler

-toolbox- Dad had one left from his ranger and we played lets make a deal.

here's what she looks like this evening

Welcome! :waving:

Looks like you have a fairly solid body to start with, but as many others will also say, take a look under the carpet and see what the floorboards look like. That's a real rust starting place, especially drivers side.

Mine's an 87 4x2 2.5 4speed w/o air and w/o ps. If you want ps I would suggest going to a 4.0 since adding pumps for the engine to work saps strength fast, but otherwise rebuild the 2.5 with a mild cam and headers and free flowing exhaust. That helps the little 4 popper quite a bit. Mine has a Delta Cam (Tacoma, WA company), Clifford header, and single in/dual out exhaust. Helped it a bunch. Plus, I think the 89 2.5 begins with a few more hp than the 87. I think mine not having the compressor or ps pump to turn helps also. BTW, if you use the 4.0, you have to swap in all the computer stuff from the donor also.

Have fun! :banana:

thanks all. picked up a donor vehicle today for interior and other parts it is a 92 2dr xj. anyone need anything? pics coming...

oh and can the chryco key tilt column be used in place of the gm style? didn't know if the ignitions were similiar.(read wiring)

That's a nice truck, to bad it's a 4 banger'. I like that front bumper on your XJ, who makes it? Is it Hanson, or is that another sticker from something else?

Good luck on your build,

it is a Hanson. this is the 3rd jeep its been on and looks fantastic.

here it was on my built xj

• 2 weeks later...